Topic: Stainless Wheel Cylinders

richmv8    -- 12-31-2013 @ 3:40 PM
  Does anyone have experience using the Speedway Motors wheel cylinders that come with stainless steel sleeves in their new parts? They have attractive pricing at $49.99 ea. for fronts or rears so I would expect them to be foreign made (grrr!).

Main issue though appears that they make the fronts with incorrect front bores at 1-1/4" x 1" (1939-1941 size) and they show application inclusive for 1939 thru 1948. Original Ford/Merc "21A" front wheel cylinders were 1-3/8"x1" bores and fit all 1942-1948 cars, and universally retrofit onto 1939-1941 cars if both are changed on fronts.

I am not likely to install undersize wheel cylinders on my stock '47 Coupe. Otherwise, I'd try them out myself right away. I called and asked if it was a spec. mistake in catalog, would they please pull one from stock and check it? They did, it was 1-1/4" x 1" as stated in catalog. Bummer. Part number 910-65422-left or -right.

Ford Chassis Parts Catalogues show "21A-" fronts to be proper replacement (both must be changed of course) for '39-'41 year models which gives an easier pedal for better stopping and we all have been doing this for decades with fine results.

I really thought we might have a nice solution here with ready made stainless sleeved wheel cylinders for our cars and light trucks that don't get driven quite enough to prevent rust build up using regular DOT 3 fluid. Converting to DOT 5 (silicon) fluid is probably one solution of course but is a bit tedious, since all rubber parts in system must be changed out and entire system flushed a couple of times.

Looking for optimum quality wheel cylinders that don't cost arm and leg. Local pro brake vendor offered to re-sleeve originals for about $200 each (!). Apple Hyrdraulics does them for less and so does White Restorations, but still around $80 ea. plus shipping or more due to two diameters of the cylinders requiring twice the machining effort and installation of two sleeves each.

Anyone tried the Speedway Motors wheel cylinders? What were results? Thanks guys!

This message was edited by richmv8 on 1-1-14 @ 4:46 PM

supereal    -- 01-01-2014 @ 11:11 AM
  Sleeving, as you note, is expensive. If the brake fluid is a good grade from an opened container, replacing the DOT3 should reduce the rusting or pitting of all brake cylinders. Switching to DOT5 successfully usually requires replacement of all parts except the line, which have to be flushed with denatured alcohol.

richmv8    -- 01-01-2014 @ 4:40 PM
  Thanks Superreal for your very good hydraulic brake system tips and knowledge sharing.

However, I would like the focus in this discussion to remain directly on the Speedway Motors replacement wheel cylinders with the stainless sleeves. It appears that they completely messed up on the 1-1/4" X 1" bores for the FRONT wheel cylinders when they should be 1-3/8" x 1" to work properly with all '42-'48 cars as per original spec. Makes one wonder about vendor or manufacturer competence and just how far it extends througout their company. I would like to know if anyone on the Forum has used either the fronts or rears from Speedway and if they were satisfied with quality of construction, installation went well, etc. Does anyone know who is the actual manufacturer of these wheel cylinders? Thanks to all.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6873