Topic: Light Switch

sotto    -- 12-27-2013 @ 7:09 PM
  While turning a corner(left or right) the light switch/horn rod turns, thus switching the lights on. Vehicle is a '36 Truck(1.5 ton).

ford38v8    -- 12-27-2013 @ 10:08 PM
  Soto, Your horn/light rod is bent. This is the rod going down through your steering column to the switch below the steering box. To fix it can be fairly easy or very involved, depending on whether your back window opens. (Seriously)

If the rear window opens:
Below the swtch box under the steering box, open the bale and remove the cover.
Remove the spring loaded clip from the rod in the center.
Up topside, pull the horn button straight up and out the back window.
Straghten the rod and replace.

If the window doesn't open:
The steering box must be loosened, and the tube disconnected from the dash in order for the whole assembly to point out the open drivers door for clearance to remove the rod. More trouble than it's worth unless you want to install a '37 steering box to make the job really pay off.

Edit:
It occurs to me on rereading your question, being a 1.5 ton, the angle of the steering column may differ considerably from a passenger car, meaning that my instructions for clearance may not apply. Someone else familiar with the truck will hopefully cinfirm or deny before you start the job.

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 12-27-13 @ 10:16 PM

sotto    -- 12-28-2013 @ 10:13 AM
  Alan,
that sounds to be the problem….I should have mentioned that the horn rod/switch does turn as I turn the steering wheel, thus supporting your reply…..I would have to remove steering box bolts, then remove rear window to pull out rod….question would be how hard is it to straighten? My other option is to disconnect headlights…as I don't ever plan to drive it at night….reconnect when necessary….
thanks...

ford38v8    -- 12-28-2013 @ 11:02 AM
  If you remove the rear window, you don't have to do anything to the steering box. Check the angle of the tube, project that angle straight up and out, you'll see where you need clearance. As my edit on the previous post advised, I'm not sure the big truck's steering column angles the same as the passenger car, so check that out.

To straighten the rod, lay it out on a flat surface and gently tap the high spots as you roll it around. It must be straight and will not flex withoiut bending again, that's why it's bent in the first place, someone got impatient trying to remove it previously.

Disconnect the lights? And the horn? Just temporary, I hope.

Alan

bbook    -- 12-28-2013 @ 1:10 PM
  I could not pull the horn/light rod on my 36 1.5 ton without moving the steering gear box and steering tube bracket. If I recall correctly, it doesn't even line up with the rear window if you try to remove it without the other moves.

Good luck, it is a major hassle, but worth it, in my opinion, to keep the stock lighting system.

sotto    -- 12-28-2013 @ 4:06 PM
  Thanks! Actually I've performed this task once before…..to ensure the horn button made "good" contact….so it will be somewhat repetitive….other than straightening the horn rod…..

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6857