Topic: 39 coupe windshield wipers

larryb346    -- 12-24-2013 @ 3:35 PM
  I just bought a 39 coupe street rod. It has been converted from vacuum to electric. The electric motor is mounted under the headliner on the top. The prior owner said the wipes never worked very well. He said if he tightened the wiper arm down tight the wipers would stop working and if was loosened the wiper arms would drag and slip.
The post sticking through the top are very small and smooth. My 46 has a knurled knob on the end of the shaft to prevent slipping.
Am I missing something or can anyone offer suggestion on how to make the wiper arm stay tight to the shaft without binding the tower shaft.
Does the shaft have any serrations or tapers?
Thanks
Larry

TomO    -- 12-26-2013 @ 9:00 AM
  Larry,

It would help if you could post a photo of the post on the outside of the car. There are many different firms supplying the electric motors and they use different shafts.

Tom

larryb346    -- 12-26-2013 @ 4:13 PM
  Tom
I will post a picture,however the electric motor simply replaced the vacuum motor. The wiper towers and arms are the original 39's according to the builder. That is where the issue is. The post sticking through the tower is very small and round. It appears it might have a slight taper. I will have to remove the front portion of the headliner to see the motor. I was going to replace the towers and arms,however I can't find new or reman. for the coupe, only convertible and wagons.
Thanks
Larry

Lincoln    -- 12-26-2013 @ 6:47 PM
  If the shafts (posts) are Original Ford/TRICO, they will have a very narrow taper with very shallow serrations, which mate up with a tapered and serrated piece that is part of the wiper arm. If the shaft is worn undersize and serrations worn (as many used originals are), the arm will not stay tight and will slip on the shaft. This may be a common problem with many of this style wiper (also used in 1937 & 38) as someone on this Forum mentioned it previously.
Other than replace the wiper shaft with a new one, maybe you can dress up the old shaft using a very small file to "sharpen" the existing serrations, although the shafts I have seen do not have very many, and no pronounced, serrations to begin with. Some sort of glue/cement might work if you were not planning on changing wiper arms/blades anytime soon.
Hope this helps.
Lincoln.

40cpe    -- 12-26-2013 @ 8:31 PM
  It could be the arm is worn, too. I know what a pain it is to lower the headliner and then get it back in place. You might have to get creative and experiment. I was thinking of using a very soft metal as a shim over the splined shaft and under the arm. Maybe pound a piece of lead such as a fishing weight to a thin sheet and apply it over the spline.

larryb346    -- 12-26-2013 @ 8:54 PM
  I will look closer tomorrow I do not think there are any serrations on these shafts. I will measure to be sure they are tapered. I thought they might be suppose to have some type of groove for a key or some way to lock the wiper in position.
Thanks
Larry

TomO    -- 12-27-2013 @ 10:21 AM
  On the stock 39 wiper assembly there will be a tapered shaft going through the body. On the outside there will be a chrome bezel held in place by a special nut and then the wiper arm is held on by another special nut.

From your description, it sounds like the arms coming off of the wiper motor(P/N 91A-17552 and 53) are worn. Any small bind in these arms will make a vacuum motor sluggish, and may stop an electric motor also.

I have attached a drawing from the 39 parts catalog with the affected parts circled in red.

Tom

larryb346    -- 12-27-2013 @ 3:06 PM
  Tom
Your exactly correct. The wiper shafts are nearly slick. Any serrations are worn nearly smooth. Now I need to find some wiper shafts someplace. So far many places have them for a convertible and station Wagon, but I have not found any for the coupe. I am going to have to remove the headliner and would like to have the parts to fix it when I do and then be able to put it back together
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Larry

larryb346    -- 12-27-2013 @ 8:03 PM
  Tom
Your exactly correct. The wiper shafts are nearly slick. Any serrations are worn nearly smooth. Now I need to find some wiper shafts someplace. So far many places have them for a convertible and station Wagon, but I have not found any for the coupe. I am going to have to remove the headliner and would like to have the parts to fix it when I do and then be able to put it back together
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Larry

TomO    -- 12-28-2013 @ 1:15 PM
  The 39 sedans used the same linkage as the Coupe. You should be able to find the linkage in one of the few salvage yards that specialize in older cars.

I would drop the front of the headliner and examine what is behind it. The correct parts may have been changed out sometime in the past 70+ years.

Tom

larryb346    -- 01-07-2014 @ 8:13 PM
  Do you have any idea if the 38 complete wiper assembly would work in the 39 Coupe? New Port makes a complete wipe assembly for the 38 but I can't find anyone that has a repop or good used 39 wiper shafts and towers. If the complete assemble will not work wold any other wipers have the same shaft configuration as the 39,as far as the same taper and serrations? If so would I be able to remove the wiper shafts from another year and make them fit the 39 towers?
Thanks
again

TomO    -- 01-08-2014 @ 10:01 AM
  I do not know if the 38 wiper motor assembly will work in the 39 Standard. The 39 closed cars are unique in the wiper area as the motor is mounted in the center, 38 closed cars had 2 motors and later cars used a cowl mounting. You will probably not have the mounting for the 2 1938 motors.

The tapered shaft can be smooth as the nut holds the arm to the shaft.

I suggest that you drop the headliner enough to see what is going on and then tighten the arm to the shaft and try to see where it is binding. Nut P/N 17512 must be tight to keep the water out of the inside of your car and the mechanism must be free without the arm. When you tighten the arm, there should be no difference in movement. If it binds, look for interference between the arm and P/N 17515. If there is interference there, you can modify the arm by removing some material.

Try Kent Jaquith, 2633 SW Obsidian # 15, Redmond, Oregon (541) 923-4319
Clean-Sweep Windshield Wiper Motor Service, Sales and Rebuilding for parts,

I would also send a PM to Mike Kubarth to see if he knows of any tricks in dropping the headliner without damaging it.

Tom

keith oh    -- 01-08-2014 @ 12:18 PM
  If you would like to go back to original I have a NOS 1939 passenger car Trico wiper motor Ford part #17508 as listed and pictured in Green Bible parts book on page 636. It is Motor and On - Off linkage only. Do not have the wiper arm mechinism It runs very strong. $50 plus ride.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6849