Topic: 33-34 V-8 engine

37 Coupe    -- 01-24-2010 @ 1:54 PM
  I never had an oppurtunity to buy a flathead engine this old and wonder what would be a good price to pay. I beleive it is a 33-34 engine as heads have a 40 prefix,are these undesirable engines? Seems every one I know who has restored a 34 wants a late 36 engine. This engine is in a 32 3 window that a local streetrodder has been lucky enough to find,been in garage since 1956 and not run.Hate too see what will happen to rest of car but I will get engine if I can. I would think if someone was doing a 33-34 they would want correct engine. I have no idea what he will want for engine.

ford38v8    -- 01-24-2010 @ 2:19 PM
  37 coupe, look here to identify the engine: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_specifications.htm

Any engine in a barn find car is suspect. The bolt-on parts may be more valuable than the block, as it may have cracks. With the heads off, you can eyeball the head surface of the block for cracks, but an investment in cleaning/magnaflux is the only way to be certain. Such an engine is a gamble at best, making it worth only what you're willing to gamble.

Alan

supereal    -- 01-25-2010 @ 10:16 AM
  The reason the later engines are more desirable is that they have insert bearigs as opposed to poured babbit. The transition was made in late '36 into early '37. Rebabbiting is rapidly becoming a lost art, and a good job, including the line boring necessary, gets pricey. In my opinion, any engine that was not running immediately before removal and sale is likely to be junk. We have seen it too many times. Any "barn find" engine should be inspected by a competent shop before money changes hands, without exception. If the seller won't go along, don't take the chance.

37 Coupe    -- 01-25-2010 @ 10:49 AM
  I know why a lot of 32-35 restorers use early heads and other bolt ons for later 36 21 stud insert and cam bearing engines,just wonderered if some 33-34 restorers do insist on all original engines as I know a lot of Dearborn 32 Fords are restored that way. this car was in pretty good storage,the other car bought is a 32 tudor, same deal parked in 56,it had B engine removed and a 59AB installed in or before 1956 and may have been a new engine or in any case it was less than 10 years old,they got it running in a couple weeks. The 21 stud would have been a little over twenty years old when parked and outside looks like it is clean enough that may never been run,this is the engine in question that I was wondering about. It may be a 35-36 engine with 40 heads but I doubt that this owner/builder cared in 1956,mayby it is the original 32 engine with replaced heads on it. All I know is current owner does not want it,top must have been damaged at some point in its history (the 32 3 window) someone cut it off above pillars,but left doors alone and all top wood is in place. Brookville supposedly is going to put a new insert top on it $17,000.$20,000 estimate, he is going to have a fortune in it.

1934 Ford    -- 01-25-2010 @ 5:09 PM
  37 Coupe said "he is going to have a fortune in it"
That seems to be the normal street rod theme. Spend a fortune and have a Chevy V8 in it them don't drive it
because they've spent a fortune on it.
A 34 Flathead with babbit bearings is a very usable car and not expensive compared to a "Street Rod".
Have fun and I hope it's agood engine at a junk price.

3w2    -- 01-25-2010 @ 10:16 PM
  37Coupe,

As Alan says, the first step is to identify the block, which could be anything from a '33 to a '36 (assuming that you've already eliminated the possibility of it being either a '32 block or a '37 block. The key will be the absence or presence of the provision for a crankcase vent in the right front corner of the block which the '33-'34s do not have.

Any engine with an unknown history is a gamble, but I disagree that just because it wasn't run the day before you buy it makes it junk. The numerous '32 to '36 engines that I have successfully restored have sat around 'unrun' for years (some twenty or more in some cases).

Sure, it's a gamble and one that should be taken with great care, especially if you don't have a need for it yourself. There are '33-'34 restorers who would not dream of using a LB block in their cars, so there is a market for these babbit-bearing blocks. Unlike '32 blocks, however, I suspect that the supply of '33-'34 blocks exceeds the demand for them.

Dave

37 Coupe    -- 01-26-2010 @ 8:43 AM
  That is what I wanted to know if the 33-34 Ford restorer was even interested in correct engine. I think I might follow up on it knowing I may never need it myself or odds may be a damaged beyond repair and the hassle of ewver getting it to whomever could use it. Guess where I am at is this: I know a little bit about when and where it came from and good storage,history,once it is removed and it sits mayby even outside everything will start to get fuzzier,literally.

supereal    -- 01-26-2010 @ 11:08 AM
  Dave: I know it sounds rough to say that unless an engine has been run recently, or you know the seller and the history, that it is more than likely the engine will prove to be worthless for restoration. As the area's largest machine shop, and one of only a few that can and will do flatheads, we have seen too many engines that, when opened, don't justify the $3,000 to $5,000 cost to produce a complete rebuild. To disassemble an engine and clean the block, then Magnaflux it to detect cracks, and examine the crank and cam, normally costs 4-5 hundred dollars in labor before any rebuilding takes place. We are "upfront" about this when a non running engine arrives at our door, and the customer has to be prepared for bad news, more often than not. Many are paying hundreds of dollars, or more, for questionable engines as the supply dwindles, only to learn they are worthless, so some caution in selecting an engine is advisable and necessary.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=681