Topic: 1934 Cabriolet Seat Frame or Pattern

rustyrelics    -- 12-10-2013 @ 10:48 PM
  I am trying to figure out the difference between a Cabriolet and Coupe seat frame??? One source has the bottom frae narrower than a coupe. I can understand the top, but bottom frame width sems like it should be the same??? I need a seat frame or one to copy....HELP.....thanks

drkbp    -- 12-14-2013 @ 7:49 PM
  rusty,

'35-'36 3-window coupe door opening is the same as a '35-'36 Cabriolet. You can hang a Cabriolet door in a 3-window coupe body. The seat will also fit both. I was waiting to see if a '34 would answer your post first. Since no one answered....

I would imagine the 3-window coupe '33-'34 seat will fit the cabriolet also. The cabriolet doors for those years are a "short" outside door skin rolled over on both ends and leaded by the factory. I have a '32 Cabriolet passenger door and it's the same way. It is one of the reasons that Cabriolet doors crack in the corners front and back where the window openings start.

I don't know if the 5-window coupe seat back raises up or not. Maybe someone can tell us but it would seem that the bottom pan would be the same for both.

Ken in Texas

juergen    -- 12-15-2013 @ 1:35 PM
  www.fordwoodart.com lists different part numbers for the 33/34 wooden sides and bottoms for the coupes and convertibles and the same numbers for 35/36s. www.LebaronBonney.com does the same for the 33/34. For the 35s the coupe and convertible seat frames have the same numbers but have different numbers for the backs for 36s.

When I did my 33/34 cabriolet, I bought a complete set from LB. It was too wide at the top and would not let the seat slide back into the package tray. So I just angled in the sides of the back seat frame (I think about a 1/4 inch at the top; nothing at the bottom) and all was well.

Incidently I liked the quality of woodart better.

David J    -- 01-31-2014 @ 1:14 PM
  Curious , I assume you were talking about the wood part ? If you were talking about the metal pan it is definitely different cab - coupe . Sorry about responding to an old thread but it is new to me . FWIW I have both types of pans . I also bought my wood stuff from WoodArt on the Cabriolet . Brads woodshop in WA also does a good job . Bought all the roadster stuff from him and am satisfied .

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6806