Topic: WHAT TYPE SOLDER FOR DOING GROUND CABLES

murphy1936    -- 11-30-2013 @ 5:28 PM
  Going to do o or oo size cable soon. Is rosin type solder best to use any tips on soldering besides good clean adapters and wire? Thks again everyone for all the help on our 41 JOHN

supereal    -- 12-01-2013 @ 8:09 AM
  Use only rosin core solder for wiring. Be sure the metals to be joined are as clean and bright as you can get them, apply paste flux, and have a tight fit wiith the terminal before soldering. The secret to the process is adequate heat to allow the solder to flow and penetrate the joint. With heavy cables, most soldering irons don't produce sufficient heat. A torch is a better choice, but don't overheat the joint. Good soldering takes practice, so if you are not experienced., practice a bit before tackling the job.

woodiewagon46    -- 12-01-2013 @ 8:34 AM
  Never use acid flux, the type used for plumbing of copper pipes. What can happen is that when you heat the wire it will get between the strands of wire and eventually rot the wire causing a failure of the connection.

murphy1936    -- 12-01-2013 @ 12:23 PM
  Thank you I guess I will get one of the small hand held torches to do the job. This work on ground wires for the41 hopefully will turn over car to start appreciate advice. It's been a disappointing situation all the way John

Drbrown    -- 12-11-2013 @ 9:30 PM
  About soldering I'd like to add ..... (1) don't apply too much solder. It will migrate beyond the connector fitting into the stranding of the adjacent wire and the wire will become rigid - not good. (2) Thanks to my grandfather, an old-time technic when soldering large connector fittings is to drill a very small hole into the hollow base of the connector fitting before you start. Then if and when the connector fitting is full of solder you will see it start to protrude out the hole. The integrity of the connector fitting is not comprimized and any solder that comes out the hole can be filled off after cooling.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 12-11-13 @ 9:34 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6770