Topic: Spare tire lock on 35 Ford

eli33    -- 11-29-2013 @ 5:02 PM
  I do not have a key for the cap mounted on the car but I do have an extra cap and keys. This cap is not as nice. How do I get the one off the car?

Once off, can I swap the locks and use the best cap?

Dad is gone, but I can still hear his words clearly, "don't lose these keys." Sorry, dad.

coup    -- 11-29-2013 @ 6:03 PM
  eli33 If mtg brkt is open on the bottom, remove from car as an assy. Turn upside down on bench without weight on cap. Then work for days trying to compress the three spring loaded pins thru the center hole of the wheel.

chas34    -- 11-30-2013 @ 6:45 AM
  Why not take it to a locksmith ... I found one in my area that likes old locks and he was able to pick mine in less than an hour ... cost me a total of $35.00 (including 2 new keys)

chas34

eli33    -- 11-30-2013 @ 7:55 AM
  That is a possibility. We have a fellow here who might be able to help. Thanks.

eli33    -- 05-10-2014 @ 8:54 PM
  After 6 months, I found a solution to unlocking the spare tire on the back of my 35. Found the keys hanging on the wall over my workbench with a tag in dad's handwriting "1935 Ford Keys". I swear I had looked there at least a dozen times.

If dad were still here he'd surely say "don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

Wishing all you Ford V8 fans equally good luck this year.

terryp    -- 05-13-2014 @ 5:03 PM
  You got lucky on that one! I lost my '35 spare lock keys and had to drill out the lock. Man did I feel stupid. Now to get a locksmith involved to open and make a key for a spare I have on the shelf. Now the challenge: cannot find a key or key blank to fit the lock! Any leads? Thanks! Terry

trjford8    -- 05-14-2014 @ 8:03 PM
  Drake sells some of the early style key blanks. There's also guys who advertise in the V-8 times that can make keys for your lock

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6766