Topic: Problems starting warm engine

ab4875    -- 11-27-2013 @ 1:48 AM
  My 46 coupe starts fine when it is cold. If I switch it off after it has run for a few minutes and then try to restart it the engine turns over fine but doesn't start.

I am using a fully charged Optima 6 Volt battery.

The car is either stationery or travelling at very low speed as I am still getting the car road-worthy.

I'm not sure what to check but did do a search and found mention of vapour lock. I'm not sure it would be getting hot enough after only a few minutes for this to be the problem.

40 Coupe    -- 11-27-2013 @ 4:15 AM
  It sounds as if the engine may be flooding with gas while sitting, this is a typical symptom of a defective power valve in the 94 carburetor, or the gasket for the power valve may be leaking by allowing the fuel in the float bowl to drain into the engine making restarts very hard.

TomO    -- 11-27-2013 @ 7:27 AM
  I agree with 40 Coupe it is probably flooded. You can try flooring the gas pedal and cranking it. If it doesn't start you amy have a weak spark cause by a bad condenser or coil.

Tom

ab4875    -- 11-27-2013 @ 6:17 PM
  Thanks guys, it does start if I floor the accelerator pedal.

I'll order a new power valve and see if that sorts it out.

40 Coupe    -- 11-28-2013 @ 4:06 AM
  There are Power valves on the rebuilding market that do not fit properly. Daytona parts, Charlie Schwindler, NY or Ken Isidor, CT for the proper valve and gasket. Make sure both surfaces of the two half's are flat and the gasket seals without leaks.

supereal    -- 11-28-2013 @ 8:27 AM
  If the mating surface on the valve has a radius instead of being flat, it is almost certain to leak. We chuck them in our lathe and machine them. Gasoline has low surface tension, and will easily seep. Overtightening causes the gasket to deform. If you have the triangular gasket, you probably have one of the problem valves.

shogun1940    -- 11-29-2013 @ 4:04 PM
  after you have shut it off open the choke and the throttle and look down to the base of the manifold there should only be the gas from one squirt of the accelerator pump ,,if there is a lot of gas the float could be stuck, leave it propped open and see how long it to takes for the gas to evaporate.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6757