Topic: Columbia 2 speed

Pair of 40's    -- 11-25-2013 @ 10:07 AM
  My columbia 2 speed is stuck in high. I had the car on an inclined ramp, car rolled back while in gear and now is in high and will not shift back into low range.
I've tried several times going down the road.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

4dFordSC    -- 11-25-2013 @ 2:41 PM
  Put in in reverse and back up.

Pair of 40's    -- 11-25-2013 @ 5:01 PM
  Very helpful, ha ha

4dFordSC    -- 11-25-2013 @ 5:53 PM
  I was serious. That's what you do when you forget to take it out of od at a stop sign. Perhaps I misunderstood your question.

Grant    -- 11-26-2013 @ 5:36 AM
  Great question, Pair of 40's. Thanks for asking it.

Our '36 roadster started doing the same thing on the way back to Detroit from the Golden Jubilee meet in Tahoe last June.

In Albuquerque I noticed that the High/Low switch mechanism was protruding out too far past the firewall into the engine compartment. It was easy to push back in, but en route afterwards the Columbia didn't want to cooperate.........sometimes it would flip the rear end out of one range and into the other, but other times it wouldn't.

For the last couple of hundred miles around this area before going into storage in September, I simply left the car in High. Definitely it was slow pulling away from being stopped, but otherwise everything else seems to work well when out on the road.

Any thoughts about what might be malfunctioning ? I don't hear an obvious vacuum leak.

Does anyone know who the gentleman is in British Columbia who installs and repairs these rear ends ?

Grant

Pair of 40's    -- 11-26-2013 @ 5:38 AM
  I have backed it up numerous times, I have worked the valve numerous times and it will not shift back down. I don't know if I lost the vacume to the OD or not.
Thanks

Pair of 40's    -- 11-26-2013 @ 5:44 AM
  Grant, yes it drives OK in high but I want to get it right. I just found the name of John Connelly in Calf that sells parts for the columbia's. 951-719-4077. I plan to give him a call. I'll post his remarks.
Russ

4dFordSC    -- 11-26-2013 @ 7:05 AM
  Guess the next thing I'd try would be to remove the canister and see if I could move the lug by hand. Will be interesting to see what John says.

Grant    -- 12-13-2013 @ 5:04 AM
  Hey Russ.......I would be interested to hear if you got your Columbia issue resolved, and if so, what the repair procedure was.

Thanks, Grant

OLDTMR    -- 12-13-2013 @ 12:40 PM
  For what its worth you might like to talk to this fellow. He called me a couple of days back and made me feel really good about these rear ends, says he has done many. columbiarepair@roadrunner.com Name is Bill

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6754