Topic: CANT START CAR

murphy1936    -- 11-22-2013 @ 9:20 PM
  I. Know basic steps, spark, fuel, oxygen. However will do those step tomorrow on the spark issue, I'm kinda stuck as car has magneto distributor how do I check for spark anyone.? I plan on calling mallory as this is name on side plate. John

ford38v8    -- 11-22-2013 @ 10:07 PM
  Murphy, A magneto has to spin in order to produce a spark. Crank the engine and check for spark while cranking.

This looks to be a second thread addressing the same issue. For simplicity and continuity, it's more convenient to keep it all together in a single thread.

When I was a kid in high school, an upper classman had a stripped down forty coupe with a full race cam, magneto, laker pipes, slicks, and no starter motor. He and a couple friends would push start it every day after school. I'd have given my eyeteeth to get a ride in that coupe!

Alan

40 Coupe    -- 11-23-2013 @ 4:17 AM
  A magneto and a distributor are two different things. A Mallory distributor controls the high voltage output of a coil. A magneto produces high voltage and does not need an external coil. you can remove a spark plug wire and with the car parking brake applied, the transmission in neutral, ignition switch "ON" turn the car over and hold a bare metal part of the plug wire end near ground and spark should jump. make sure you are electrically isolated from the possible arc.

murphy1936    -- 11-24-2013 @ 5:56 PM
  Thanks I've been looking for infor on what I have. The car has a coil and I did get spark. So I have a distributor setup. Mallory. Don't know why this was changed over?? Qwner was wife? Something happened. However. I do thank you. As far as plugs. They have boots on so no exposed wire. Should I put a carrier wire inside and see if I get spark or is there a better method. .

Oldad    -- 11-24-2013 @ 8:10 PM
  May I suggest you back out a spark plug and lay it on the head, or other good ground, with wire and boot attached and so that the gap is visible. When you crank the car you should see a spark between the electrodes. This will tell you if you are getting spark but it won't tell you if the timing is correct.

Oldad    -- 11-24-2013 @ 8:11 PM
  May I suggest you back out a spark plug and lay it on the head, or other good ground, with wire and boot attached and so that the gap is visible. When you crank the car you should see a spark between the electrodes. This will tell you if you are getting spark but it won't tell you if the timing is correct.

This message was edited by Oldad on 11-24-13 @ 8:12 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6744