Topic: 36 roadster

rondini7995    -- 11-22-2013 @ 8:35 PM
  My 36 roadster is an inch and a quarter lower on the driver's side than on the passenger side just on the front of the car. Any ideas on how to adjust or fix this problem? It's driving me nuts.

kubes40    -- 11-22-2013 @ 9:17 PM
  I'd start with the most obvious. Tire pressure? Are the tires the same outside diameter?
Then, move on to the front chassis. Is everything under there in good shape? If so, most likely culprit is the spring and / or the spring shackles. Are the shackles the same length? If so, then I'd really start thinking the spring.
The less obvious but possible? Body / frame damage in the past not repaired correctly? Don't shrug this one off too quickly. I have seen some very pretty cars with bent frames. One particular car comes to mind (a '40 convertible) that was very pretty. The body work (while pretty) was so poorly done, nothing sat right if you looked carefully.
I am going for your sake, the spring and / or shackles are the issue. Easy and reasonable to replace.

woodiewagon46    -- 11-23-2013 @ 6:57 AM
  Also check the "U" bolts that attach the rear spring to the crossmember. A friend had one break and the car leaned about the same as you describe.

rondini7995    -- 11-23-2013 @ 11:04 AM
  Thanks for the advice. It gives me somewhere to start.I really love this car as it drives great and gets a lot of looks.

supereal    -- 11-23-2013 @ 12:50 PM
  Reporting that the driver's side of an old Ford is lower than the passenger side is a common complaint. As Mike and others have given good advice above, I'll add another. If you find both springs intact, and with a center tie bolt seated in the crossmember. another approach is to turn the springs end for end. Old springs take a "set" from decades of flexing. I prefer to replace them if they are lopsided. If you find evudence of frame damage, the spring can be shimmed by loosening the U-boltys and inserting a wedge on the low side. I had to do this on my '47, as some idiot apparently pulled the car by hooking into one of he large holes in the frame, springing it just enough to bend the crossmember.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6743