Topic: Turn signal and light rod

fordmaroon    -- 01-23-2010 @ 4:28 PM
  I am trying to change my steering wheel on my 32 ford but cannot get the center rod to go thru the steering column without totally removing the steering box or cutting a whole in the roof to clear it--Now I know ford has to be smarter then that??? what is the trick if there is one--Im at my wits end--please help--cant find anything in any book that explanes this process--Thank You

tudorbilll    -- 01-23-2010 @ 4:43 PM
  Do you have the rod 3/4s out

ford38v8    -- 01-23-2010 @ 4:58 PM
  fordmaroon, hopefully, our administrator will transfer this thread to the '32 Discussion Forum. In the meantime, I'll give you a rundown on why you are having such a difficult time removing your horn/light rod: Ford's assembly line built up a complete chassis first, including steering wheel and horn/light rod. THEN, they lowered the body over the frame.

Your options include dropping your steering box, or, if you have a pickup or coupe with a roll down rear window, the rod will extend through if you remove the tube clamp from the dash and loosen the steering box bolts. Not being a '32 expert, I'm still pretty sure you have no other option, sorry.

Alan

fordmaroon    -- 01-23-2010 @ 7:25 PM
  Thanks Alan I cant believe that the steering box has to be dropped, but I believe you, because I tried everything but that-Yes I have a 32- 4 door sedan I wish I would of known that before I installed a new top,So is that what the garage mechanics did back in 32 when they needed to remove the steering wheel --Wow--problem after problem Thanks for the reply Vince

fordmaroon    -- 01-23-2010 @ 7:32 PM
  Bill I dont have the rod in at all--I,m trying to install the steering wheel and the rod-It keeps hitting the roof when I try to get the correct angle to feed the rod down into the center on the column--If I try to force it-It will tear thru the roof or bend the rod--Cant believe I m having such a difficult time trying to replace something that I thought would be a simple project--Any suggestions ????? Need advice--Thanks Vince

trjford8    -- 01-24-2010 @ 8:14 AM
  Vince, there's no easy way on this one. It's an age old problem from 28-39 Fords. If you have a sedan or a body with the roll-down rear window you can tilt the column down by loosening the steering box bolts and removing the column bracket.If you have any other body style you need to drop the steering box.
Just a reminder, but if you have the interior in the car be sure to cover your upholstery, so when working with the steering box and rod you do not accidently get grease/oil on the new seats,etc.

Al, since this is a problem that is not unique to 32's this question was posted in the correct forum.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 1-24-10 @ 8:36 AM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-25-2010 @ 6:13 AM
  in sedans you can drop the column down and slide the rod back,
on a coupe you can take out the rear window,or roll it down,you will have to loosen the box on the frame s]o it will tilt down,
this is a 2 man job, and a messy one,make sure you have rags and a cleaner close by,
pulling the rod back usually a lot of grease on the rod,
the reason for trying to get it out in the car,
is the steering wheel,if you are lucky try
just sliding the rod up, with everything in place and see if the wheel will come off the shaft first, if it does just put it back till you get everything loose,
cause you will have you hands full handling all of this,so have some help
hope this helps,37 RAGTOPMAN,

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-25-2010 @ 7:02 AM
  hi
just wanted to follow up, you will have to remove the steering wheel to drop it down and out for the bottom,
also the floor boards,
hope this helps,37RAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=673