Topic: intake manifold

j.grif    -- 11-19-2013 @ 5:32 PM
  Working at putting together a 1948 ford flathead 59A.
The intake manifold is rough and maybe cracked. Have another aluminum manifold, looks good but there is a third hole on the tower where the carb sits. Was wondering if this manifold is interchangeable with others. A small tag has a 1935 date on the one with the manufactured hole and the other is dated 1937. If usable should the third hole be blocked off or look for a matching gasket? Stromberg ok for the 48 flathead? Thanks as always for the good help

ford38v8    -- 11-19-2013 @ 6:46 PM
  Block the hole for use with a 94. Hole was for Stromberg.

Alan

37 Coupe    -- 11-20-2013 @ 5:34 AM
  Unless you really want to use an aluminum manifold the correct one for a 59AB is cast iron. I don't neccessarily mean concourse correct but the correct vacuum ports are on the 59AB cast iron manifold. Other ones aluminum and the earlier cast iron ones will all work but you usually then have to find the distributor vacuum line that fit that year. Intake manifolds are cheap on Ebay and I have lately seen a couple like the one on my 59AB engine.I don't know if it is Genuine Ford,Mercury or aftermarket but it has an extra but larger size vacuum port on the rear of carburetor base,next to smaller port for vacuum wiper/distributor fitting. It was a convenient hook up for my Columbia vacuum instead of plate at carburetor base. Again I have no idea if these were made by Ford for that reason or what? My engine supposedly came out of a wrecked Mercury.

This message was edited by 37 Coupe on 11-20-13 @ 6:44 AM

supereal    -- 11-21-2013 @ 6:51 AM
  I wouldn't suggest using a Stromberg carb on your '47 . The correct type is less troublesome. Finding the correct intake manifold isn't difficult, as they usually survived unless damaged by force, or a bungled installer. This week, a late model Ford pickup was towed to our shop. The owner had attempted to replace the intake gasket and inadvertently lost one of the bolts down a valve port, into the cylinder. He couldn't find the bolt, thinking that since he had placed them atop the engine, it must have fallen on the floor. He learned the truth when he started the engine which destroyed a valve and piston, plus causing damage to the aluminum head. When working on an engine, always place the bolts and other small parts outside of the engine bay on a table or other safe place. If the owner had done that, he would have saved over two grand in repair costs!

Grant    -- 11-22-2013 @ 6:11 AM
  How about a new old stock cast iron intake manifold for $75.00 ?

There's one under Parts For Sale in the classified ads on this EFV8 site.......listed on November 20th by Gerald Tobin in Lancaster Ohio.

Grant

supereal    -- 11-22-2013 @ 9:12 AM
  That is a good price for the manifold if it is correct for your car. While many Ford parts appear to be the same, there can be subtle difference. In the case of the intake manifold, the generator mount and the oil filler/breather flange height is important to match the pump rod. Of course, the vacuum ports vary. If you buy the manifold, be sure it is actually for a 59A to save time and trouble.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6729