Topic: '40 steering column woodruff key?

Flatbob    -- 11-18-2013 @ 7:12 PM
  Is the Woodruff key suppose to be at the 12 o'clock or 6o'clock position. Mine is at the 6 o'clock position, if it's suppose to be at 12 o'clock can I rotate 180 without taking steering gear box out of the car?

kubes40    -- 11-19-2013 @ 5:59 AM
  It should be at 6:00 o'clock.

It's possible that whomever installed the shaft did not center it properly. You will have to remove the knuckle (drag link)at the pitman arm.
After the link is removed, turn the wheel all the way in one direction. Carefully, turn it the opposite way and count the revolutions. Should be just over 4. NOW, turn it back half the total revolutions.
That key should be at or very near the 6 o'clock position.
If it's close, move it to 6 o'clock.
At this point, you'll need to adjust the length of the drag link until it goes in to the pitman arm without moving it (arm).
Mike Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 11-20-13 @ 6:27 PM

Flatbob    -- 11-19-2013 @ 8:50 AM
  Mike, thanks for responding. What you suggest is exactly what I did and ended up with the woodruff keyway at the 6 o'clock position. Before installing the box if I remember correctly, I replaced bearings and gaskets but didn't remove worm gear. Is it possible to get shaft 180 degrees out when I put it back together?

wmsteed    -- 11-19-2013 @ 9:02 AM
  It would seem to me that it is very possible to get the steering worm out of proper alignment... Been a long time since I had one apart, however, the worm gear/shaft would not know where to index, because there is no limit stop until it goes into the case and makes contact with the sector assembly..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 11-19-13 @ 9:03 AM

Flatbob    -- 11-19-2013 @ 10:13 AM
  Bill, I was wondering about how the limit stops worked, now I know it's internally in the box. Am wondering if I can remove endplate on steering box and let shaft slide down & rotate the shaft 180* to get keyway at the 12 o'clock position? Ay ideas? When the worm gear is pressed onto the shaft is there only one way it can go on the shaft? Can I correct this problem with steering gear box still on the frame?

This message was edited by Flatbob on 11-19-13 @ 10:10 PM

wmsteed    -- 11-20-2013 @ 8:36 AM
  As I stated in my earlier comments to this topic, it has been many years since I last took a EFV8 steering gear apart, however, common sense tells me that if the unit is assembled wrong, it will have to be taken apart and re-assembled to correct the problem..
I don't think it makes much difference if the horn button was made incorrectly, i.e., upside down, the steering wheel has to index with the key-way at 12 o'clock or it to will be 180 degrees off...
It's a fact of life, that two wrongs do not make something right...

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

Flatbob    -- 11-20-2013 @ 10:38 AM
  Just discovered the woodruff key is suppose to be at the 6'oclock position.
Repo. '40 wheel hub is machined incorrectly making the horn button upside down when installed.

supereal    -- 11-20-2013 @ 2:58 PM
  It is doubtful the the steering wheel hub was incorrectly machined. When the steering gear is installed, the steering wheel should be put in place, and centered before the pitman arm and linkage is attached. With front wheels in the straight ahead position, the pitman and the drag link are adjusted to fit without moving the steering wheel or front wheels. If not possible, the shaft and worm are out of place. A better idea is that the worm was pressed on the shaft upside down if the assembly seems 180 degrees out of normal.

This message was edited by supereal on 11-20-13 @ 3:00 PM

Flatbob    -- 11-20-2013 @ 3:09 PM
  Super, whoever made the repo. wheel didn't realize that when the wheel is installed the Woodruff keyway is at the 6 o'clock position rather than the 12 o'clock position on the steering shaft, thus when the horn button is installed it's upside down. Just going to live with upside down horn button.

kubes40    -- 11-20-2013 @ 6:30 PM
  Flatbob, I owe you a huge apology. Earlier I had advised the wheel (key way) was at 12 o'clock. Well, I was wrong. I hate to admit but my memory (the lack thereof at times) scares me.
I am so sorry for misleading you. The key is in reality at 6 o'clock when the steering gear is centered.

SORRY!!!!

supereal    -- 11-21-2013 @ 6:27 AM
  FB: I didn't understand that your steering wheel was a repop. In that case, it isn't surprising. There is a famous story about the Japanese attempt to copy the German Leica camera. They did a fine job, except the plan used was upside down, and the result was 180 degrees off!

kubes40    -- 11-21-2013 @ 6:58 AM
  Super, the 1940 steering wheel is a mirror image - top to bottom so even if the key way was placed "wrong" on a repop wheel, one could simply flip the wheel over. It is sounding more and more as if the horn button on Flatbob's car was molded incorrectly.
There were some buttons made back in (as I recall) the 1970's that were upside down. Perhaps they have resurfaced?
The only real issue I have witnessed (every time) with the Drake '40 wheels is the taper, while being the correct degree is never to the correct depth. too shallow or too deep. Each and every one I have installed has required modification.

wmsteed    -- 11-21-2013 @ 8:11 AM
  "Well Now" as Jack Benny use to say:...
It would also appear that many of us got a lot of exercise, jumping to conclusions.
I just took the time to walk out to my garage and look at the original '36 Ford Banjo wheel I have hanging on the wall... You guessed it, the key-way is at the 6 o'clock position...

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

supereal    -- 11-21-2013 @ 2:13 PM
  I hear you, Mike. I tried to find a repop steering wheel for my '47, and none were worth the cost, then the effort to paint. Finally, I found a NOS wheel, still in the box. Big bucks, but does setoff my NOS speedo and clock. I'm not sure who or where Drake gets parts from. Over the years, I have sent back about as much as I kept. The last Drake go round was trunk hinges that didn'r resemble the correct part. When I called, they said "you must have an odd car, as no one else complained". Humbug!

kubes40    -- 11-21-2013 @ 5:19 PM
  Oh ya, YOU have the only one like it! I have to believe there is a note pad by each of rakes operators with suggested quotes like "you're the first guy that brought that to our attention".
It's my understanding good old Bob makes NOTHING in the USA anymore.

Flatbob    -- 11-23-2013 @ 11:01 AM
  Yes, thanks everyone for verifying the 6 o'clock position on the keyway; I would have sworn it was suppose to be at the 12 o'clock location. I believe my horn button was "printed" upside down. Will try & find original. Vendor has been unresponsive to my inquiry about horn button.

TomO    -- 11-25-2013 @ 7:54 AM
  Try sending the vendor a letter, stating that you will not order from him in the future, unless he responds to your query.

Tom

trjford8    -- 11-25-2013 @ 8:41 PM
  I think all the '40 wheels are reproduced by Vintique.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6724