Topic: Concourse Battery & Charger

john38coupe    -- 11-17-2013 @ 6:12 PM
  Appreciate recommendations on where to purchase a new'Concourse' original battery for 1938 Ford. Secondly, what type of trickle/charger is best for battery longevity?

kubes40    -- 11-18-2013 @ 6:28 AM
  There are as far as I know two places that sell the correct battery for your car. The place that actually makes them is Antique Auto Battery. Most folks that have dealt with the gal (owner) there knows to be ready for one heck of a time. She should NOT be answering any phones / dealing with the public. Enough said? Anyway, I have ordered a total of four batteries like yours in the past six years. Even though I am VERY specific, each time they have sent the incorrect battery and / or incorrect caps. They have always exchanged them (at their cost, after an argument) but really, do you need the frustration?
this past Summer, I was advised of this place:http://www.restorationbattery.com/

He sells the batteries made by Antique Auto Battery but is very friendly, actually knows what he speaks of and believe it or not, a few dollars cheaper.

This message was edited by kubes40 on 11-19-13 @ 6:05 AM

37 Coupe    -- 11-18-2013 @ 12:01 PM
  Antique Auto Battery makes and sells a Ford Script battery.They are in Ohio,all you have to do is search their name. They are the ones I have locked horns with,well not exactly horns but argumentive gal. If you order one make sure it is correct for your car year. The Ford script should face you when you open hood and post must be in proper position.I told them 10 years ago they need to make them correct as 37-38 sits different than 39 Deluxe. I offered to really make this problem go away they should have Ford script front and rear of battery case so you could reverse it to sit correctly. Both times I have told them what I want and I got a battery that to sit correctly Ford script is facing firewall,other alternative is ground cable has to go clear across battery and negative post has to go other way,not correct or good.

joe b    -- 11-18-2013 @ 12:53 PM
  I also like Antique Auto Battery but then I live in Ohio and they are nearby. You also asked about a trickle charger. I have had a Battery Tender Model 021-0127 6 volt. I have had it for 7 years now and it works fine.
If you want very inexpensive,Harbor Freight has one for about 6 bucks.

Drbrown    -- 11-18-2013 @ 7:06 PM
  Regarding battery charging and maintenance, you may want to take into account how you will personally use and "sequester" (love that word) the battery. Considering the potential investment, I suggest you check this link before buying. I think this is a good sample of information on the subject and you may find more elsewhere. Go to ....

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/battery-charging.shtml

joe b    -- 11-19-2013 @ 6:26 AM
  Dr, this is a good article but the Autometer is only available for 12 volt batteries. I looked it up and that is all I found. The Battery Tender I wrote about in my previous post works well for me. It is for 6 volt batteries.

kubes40    -- 11-19-2013 @ 7:37 AM
  JoeB, you are the only one thus far (within this thread) that likes the place in Ohio. I am glad you have had a good experience with them. There was a thread on the FordBarn a while back and the overwhelming majority of folks that weighed in had similar experiences to myself and 37coupe. that is, TROUBLE with getting the correct stuff and the gal who, to reiterate my earlier post, should never be exposed to the buying public.
No more for me with Antique Auto Battery. I purchase a lot of batteries and when nearly one out of two is sent incorrectly, I simply have no use for that type of poor service.
In the future, I will always use : http://www.restorationbattery.com/
Same batteries, less costly and a nice, knowledgeable guy that is very helpful on the other end of the phone.

joe b    -- 11-19-2013 @ 10:53 AM
  Kubes. I guess that the reason I had no problem was that I drove there with my old battery so I could get the right size. That is why I am the exception. I will also say that the people there were very "cold" and seemed preoccupied. I have never ordered to ship. Let the buyer beware I guess.

BERTHA    -- 11-19-2013 @ 1:42 PM
  AAB SUX...one phone call is all it took to reach that conclusion.

I bought a Script tar top reproduction from Mac's. The top cracked forth year while in the basement for Winter storage.

Bought a plain Jane DEKA with plastic labels that were easily removed and placed on the back side. A nice modern 6v much better than the Mac's so called reproduction.
I should have known better as I can remember just how bad the original 'tar tops' were.
Bob

"it's only original once""

BERTHA    -- 11-19-2013 @ 1:43 PM
  inadvertent duplicate post

This message was edited by BERTHA on 11-21-13 @ 6:27 AM

john38coupe    -- 11-19-2013 @ 8:55 PM
  Well guys, from my investigation the last two days, neither Antique Battery or Battery Restoration are making 2LF batteries any longer. Both mentioned supplier problems and "not worth the aggrevation". Tom from Battery Restoration (nice guy) referred me to Turbo Start, a division of Axion Power International who manufacture racing and collector batteries in New Castle, Pa. Based on my discussion, it has all the right detail based on my 38 Ford Book and the rep I spoke to was very professional. Time will tell how good the product is but I'll summarize by saying glad there are still USA manufacturers. Appreciate any further advise on battery maintenance devices. Thanks

hco41    -- 11-20-2013 @ 5:24 PM
  Regarding battery maintainer. I have several of the 6v Battery Tenders and have had good luck with them except one annoying trait. After being hooked up to a healthy fully charged battery the light on the transformer shows red. It stays red for days until I unplug and immediatly replug the transformer. Within a minute the light goes to green and remains green until next disconnect, then I go through the same routine again. The batteries I have used these maintainers on have always started the car after months of storage.
By the way, I use several of Battery Tender's 12v units and do not have to go through the unplug/replug procedure. They go from red to green within hours.
Go figure!

hco41    -- 11-20-2013 @ 5:37 PM
  I haven't found the 6v Battery Tenders to be very convenient. I have 3 and each one has the same quirk. After I hook the clips onto the battery, the red light comes on and stays on for days if I don't unplug and replug the transformer. After this the green light comes on within a half hour. I start with a fresh, fully charged battery with the electrolite at the proper level.
My 12v units work normally without the unplug/plug routine.
Go figure!

This message was edited by hco41 on 11-20-13 @ 5:49 PM

hco41    -- 11-20-2013 @ 5:48 PM
  Sorry for the duplication, I didn't realize the first post appeared on page 2.
Senility is a terrible thing!

BERTHA    -- 11-21-2013 @ 6:23 AM
  Haven't had that concern with my 6v BT.
I have a switched meter on the battery and do not plug in the BT 'til battery reaches 6.2v. When plugged in at that voltage it takes a day to go green.

I still haven't figured out why some posts double up, certainly not done on purpose.

Bob

This message was edited by BERTHA on 11-21-13 @ 6:24 AM

BERTHA    -- 11-21-2013 @ 6:37 AM
  Here's a photo of the poor quality "script" battery from Mac's.
They did offer to replace it at 20% off but it was the same mfgr with no improvements, I respectfully declined.

Bob

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6722