Topic: '37 crossmember 60 vs 85 hp

hco41    -- 11-14-2013 @ 2:10 PM
  In section 8 of "The 1937 Ford Book" it states that the front and rear cross members are thinner on the 60 hp cars (54 frame). I have an original 60hp car and found that the rear member measures .176 on the vertcal side, the front measures .166 on the horizontal flange (too much sheet metal to measure the vertical).
I plan to put a later flathead in the car and am concerned about the extra weight. Can anyone confirm that there is a difference in these members, between the 18 and 54 frames?

JM    -- 11-14-2013 @ 8:52 PM
  I thought we covered this pretty well here....
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122934
Plus I had offered to take additional thickness measurements for you on a 60hp front cross member that I have.

John

hco41    -- 11-14-2013 @ 9:20 PM
  JM, I did welcome additional input from others after one effort on another 54 frame. No one followed up. I also asked for someone to submit measurements on an 18 frame, and the thread died there. Since the only documentation I had on the subject originated in a book authored by V8 club members, I thought I might get additional information here. I must have missed your input.

JM    -- 11-15-2013 @ 4:23 AM
  I will take some thickness measurements on a '37 60hp front cross member that I have but do not have a '37 85hp cross member for comparison measurements. Will do this tomorrow.

This message was edited by JM on 11-15-13 @ 4:33 AM

JM    -- 11-17-2013 @ 1:50 PM
  The front cross member that I have that was removed from a '37 Ford standard model coupe frame measures 0.1755" to 0.1770" thick. I don't have an earlier front cross member that I could take measurements on in the same area.

Note: I took the above thickness measurements along the ends of the top section of X member near where it is riveted to the underside of the top frame rail. I felt this was the best location to measure since this section is probably less likely to be affected by the stamping process. However, this area cannot be measured on a cross member that is still riveted in place on the frame.

John

This message was edited by JM on 11-19-13 @ 8:02 AM

hco41    -- 11-18-2013 @ 4:40 AM
  Thanks John, Looks like this one's a mixed bag. If everyone is sure that they're mesuring either a 54 or 18 frame member the only conclusion is that they were stamped out of 7 or 8 gauge steel. I was led to believe that the 54 cross members were "thinner" as documented in th V8 club 1937 book. Maybe the authors got their information from Ford archives for a plan that never made it into production. Guess we'll never know for sure. As I said in my last "Barn" post, I'm going to put the late engine into the car and not worry about it. Thanks for your input, interesting subject.

trjford8    -- 11-18-2013 @ 4:41 PM
  Don't worry about it. Those old frames are well made and many held an Olsmobile V-8 without any problems. Many "60' cars were converted to the regular "85" and they all survived without damage.

kubes40    -- 11-19-2013 @ 6:10 AM
  The fact is, the members were the same thickness regardless of model they were eventually installed in.
If I recall correctly, Ford went to the "thicker" members in late 1934 as they had experienced a rash of cracked front members previous to that. Still, most became cracked not due to being too thin but rather to a combination of rough roadways, worn out shocks, springs, etc.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6711