Topic: '37 60hp drive shaft

hco41    -- 11-11-2013 @ 9:25 AM
  I'm trying to determine if I have a tubular (10 spline) shaft or the 6 spline shaft w/center bearing. "The 1937 Ford Book" states that ALL 60hp cars (section 8) have the solid shaft. Mine does not have a "lubrication fitting" which I assume was needed to hold bearing on solid shaft in place. Have I got an exception? Was there any solid shafts produced without grease fitting? I want to change from 4.44 to 3.54 or 3.78 either of which would require the 6 spline shaft.

ford38v8    -- 11-11-2013 @ 10:27 AM
  If there is no zerk fitting, the driveshaft must be hollow.
The solid driveshaft must have the bearing.
This is true regardless of what any book says.
As for what Ford had intended it to be, yes, there are exceptions to every rule.

Alan

blarge    -- 11-11-2013 @ 11:03 AM
  Ford made a 10 t to 6t sleeve to mate any driveshaft to any pinion. I have one in my 46 Mercury and it works good. I do not know where to buy one, but you could try the wanted section V8 classified want ads or the Ford Barn. Bill Large

hco41    -- 11-11-2013 @ 11:24 AM
  To take it a step further. Can I put a 6 spline driveshaft/torque tube into the car (what years fit?) and will a ring and pinion,(3.54),set with 6 spline pinion go into the housing now in the car?

ford38v8    -- 11-11-2013 @ 12:41 PM
  Yes, any of those configurations will work, and you can also change the torque tube/driveshaft itself, which would be the easiest less fuss solution. First, you need to determine if you already have the required 6 spline shaft, and go from there. I'm not positive, but I think the '37 does already have the 6 spline.

I see from another of your posts that you plan on removing the 60hp and putting in an 85hp. I think they both use the same length driveshaft, but you'll need the larger 85hp transmission to make the switch also.

The 3.54 ratio may prove too tall for you if you plan on driving city or mountainous areas. The 3.78 ratio is an excellent all round ratio, allowing a full range of driving conditions.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6701