Topic: RHD 1946 Businessman's coupe serial number

ab4875    -- 11-10-2013 @ 10:54 PM
  I just bought a right hand drive 1946 businessman's coupe.
It was originally a New Zealand delivered car and has a Canadian engine.

I am trying to work out the serial number but can't find anything on the left chassis rail (at the front cross member).

I opened the hole in the floor and read the number on the bell housing. It is hard to read but looks like it is 6D then 5 digits followed by the letter F.

I was wondering if this sounds right for a 1946 Canadian built car? It doesn't seem to match anything I can find on the internet.

Colin    -- 11-11-2013 @ 8:23 AM
  This appears to be a Canadian built car. I think that the first two digits for a 1946 car should be 6A and not 6D as D usually designates 3/4 ton truck. The remaining 5 digits are the serial number and the F indicates "Foreign" to place of manufacture and Right Hand Drive. For more information on Canadian serial numbers see www.wnyrg.org/canvins.html . Hope this is useful. New Zealand imported fully built cars from Canada whereas Aiustralia built their own, sometimes unique bodies locally.

Colin    -- 11-11-2013 @ 8:23 AM
  This appears to be a Canadian built car. I think that the first two digits for a 1946 car should be 6A and not 6D as D usually designates 3/4 ton truck. The remaining 5 digits are the serial number and the F indicates "Foreign" to place of manufacture and Right Hand Drive. For more information on Canadian serial numbers see www.wnyrg.org/canvins.html . Hope this is useful. New Zealand imported fully built cars from Canada whereas Aiustralia built their own, sometimes unique bodies locally.

ab4875    -- 11-12-2013 @ 1:10 AM
  Thanks Colin, I'll have another look at the chassis rail.

Maybe it had a powertrain transplant at some point.

Attached is a photo.

smiley    -- 11-12-2013 @ 3:25 AM
  my austrailian UTE serial number is on the driver side frame rail,

Beelzeboss    -- 10-18-2023 @ 7:46 PM
  Apologies for the epic thread revival!

I'm in Australia building a hot rod using a Ford frame with a similar serial number ( 6DxxxxxF ) and was wondering if anyone had any further information about it? I'm hoping to find a way to prove it's a legitimate frame so I can successfully register the car for road use.

I found the serial number on top of the RHS frame rail just behind the front crossmember, though it doesn't have the characteristic stars stamped before or after the number.

Cheers!
Andrew

This message was edited by Beelzeboss on 10-18-23 @ 7:48 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6700