Topic: Flywheel removal.

Gary M.    -- 01-22-2010 @ 5:44 PM
  After going through all the trouble that is involved with removing the transmission and clutch,I find that the flywheel is not removable unless the oil pan is removed. So how do you guys recondition the flywheel clutch surface without removing the flywheel? Im sure not everyone pulls out the engine everytime they do a clutch change.Also,how does the pilot bearing come out? Is it machine pressed in or can it be removed with a slaphammer? And what keeps the pilot bearing lubricated? Is there a bronse bushing behind the pilot bearing pressed into the crankshaft?

40guy    -- 01-22-2010 @ 7:36 PM
  The pilot bearing can be pulled with a pilot bearing puller[hook type tool]. You can buy permanately sealed bearings, and I just put some grease in the hole before hooking up the trans. not too much though as it could end up on the clutch. I have never attempted to re-surface a flywheel with it still in the car.

TomO    -- 01-23-2010 @ 7:51 AM
  Gary, to reface the flywheel, it needs to be removed from the car. Yes, most of us pull the engine, if we are going to replace the clutch.

I would not try to remove the pan while the engine is in the car and the transmission is not, due to safety concerns. To remove the pan, you have to remove the front motor mounts and jack up the engine. Without the rear motor mounts, there is nothing to keep the engine from moving out of place.

If your flywheel does not have deep scores or heat checking, you can clean the face with an abrasive pad.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 1-23-10 @ 7:52 AM

supereal    -- 01-23-2010 @ 10:18 AM
  As TomO says, if the surface of the flywheel isn't scored or burned you can resurface it by using a Scotchbrite wheel in a drill to clean it up. We do that on every clutch job, anyway, to break the glaze. To remove a pilot bearing without a puller, fill the bearing and its cavity with grease, then insert either a pilot tool or a close fitting punch and give it some whacks with a hammer. It will force the bearing or bushing out. The pilot bearing should be replaced when the clutch is replaced.

Gary M.    -- 01-23-2010 @ 3:16 PM
  Is a scotchbright abrasive enough or should a mild grinding stone in a drill be used? Thanks...

40guy    -- 01-23-2010 @ 6:09 PM
  I would not use a stone chucked into a drill because it is too hard to control. I vote for the Scotch Bright pad. If clutch chatter was a problem, I'd bite the bullet, take it out, and have it re-surfaced at a shop.

Gary M.    -- 01-24-2010 @ 7:14 AM
  Thanks again for the great info guys....

supereal    -- 01-24-2010 @ 10:41 AM
  The Scotchbrite wheel will do a good job, unless you get it full of grease or dirt. Wipe down the flywheel clutch surface with a good solvent before you begin. Take your time and the surface will eventually be ready for the new disk. If you are installing a sealed pilot bearing, don't pack it with grease. The bearing can be forced out of place by the input shaft pilot. A sealed bearing needs no grease, which will only end up on the new clutch disk.

Gary M.    -- 01-24-2010 @ 4:50 PM
  What color scotchbright wheel should I use and also how do I know if im getting a sealed bearing when I order.There is a choice of either a roler bearing or a bronze bushing in the catolgue,but it does not say if it is a sealed bearing. The price is under $5.00 . These are from Macs. Thanks....

42wagon    -- 01-25-2010 @ 3:21 AM
  Gary
Macs has it listed in their catalog A7600 and the description says "sealed ball bearing"
Ted

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-25-2010 @ 5:57 AM
  you can probably buy the a-7600 bearing at any NAPA PARTS STORE,it should have a Z prefix on the end of number, to be sealed from both sides,
buying it from NAPA, will save you time and the price of shipping,handling,
hope this helps,37RAGTOPMAN
if you want to remove the flywheel with the engine in place you will have to hold it up from the top,you can use a cherry picker to lift the engine,till you get the pan off and then carefully block up the back of engine till you get the flyweel off,
also JOB LOT FORD PARTS,in NY has a special on a clutch paackages,and ahve everything you will need,

supereal    -- 01-25-2010 @ 10:09 AM
  We use the green Scotchbrite. It is good for jobs like flyweels, but should not be used on gasket surfaces, as it will kill bearings if it gets into the oil. All correct pilot bearings are sealed. You will see a metal face on each side of the bearing. The solid bronze bushing should be replaced with the ball bearing.

Gary M.    -- 01-26-2010 @ 6:22 PM
  What exactly does a pilot bearing puller look like? I attempted to pull the bearing with a slap hammer(hook type)but it wouldnt budge.Is this a special tool or is this puller an all purpose type that can be purchased in an auto parts store? Im sure this would be easier with the flywheel on the bench,but pulling the engine at this time would be too involved and time consuming.

Gary M.    -- 01-26-2010 @ 6:28 PM
  Super,are you saying that there is a bronze bushing behind the pilot bearing in the back of the crankshaft?

supereal    -- 01-27-2010 @ 9:38 AM
  No. Some engines have a bronze "donut" for a bearing, others used the sealed ball. The tool used to pull the bearing is a slide hammer with an expandable hooks on the end. Instead of buying one for a short use, try filling the cavity behind the nearing with grease, then use a close fitting punch, or a clutch pilot tool, and smack it with a hammer. Usually, the grease will force the bearing out. If that doesn't work, I'd borrow the tool from a shop or parts place instead of buying one.

Gary M.    -- 01-27-2010 @ 3:45 PM
  Thanks for clearing that up.I did try using a slaphammer but the bearing didnt move.Ill try using a puller with hooks.thanks again...

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=670