Topic: Oil Pump (85 hp 21 Stud)

bosborn    -- 11-06-2013 @ 8:51 PM
  Looking at two options regarding the oil pump on my 1938 Ford pickup (with related questions below):
1) Replace original oil pump with a short body. However, the pickup screen on the new pump hits the middle of a baffle that is tack welded in the well of the oil pan. Anyone else experience this? Simply cut the baffle out? Or...
2) Rebuild original long body pump. However, I'm having trouble locating a rebuild kit. Any suggestions on who might have such?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Bill

40 Coupe    -- 11-07-2013 @ 5:00 AM
  If your set on using the 80# pump, the baffle can be removed (suggest you grind out the spot welds on each side) Be prepared for additional oil leaks due to the increased pressure. You have to modify the pressure relief in the block for the early 21 stud for the short pump additional pressure. You may be able to find a rebuild kit for the long pump at Job Lot in NJ., Carpenters, or South side Obsolete in MN. The bottom plate of the long pump internal side has to have any scars removed and must be flat.

JM    -- 11-08-2013 @ 4:59 AM
  I would suggest using the short body (M19) oil pump with a truck pickup tube and screen. Several suppliers sell this combination for the early flathead engines. Cut just enough of the baffle out for clearance of the pickup tube/screen. DO NOT try to remove the ends of the baffle that are spot welded to the oil pan by bending or pulling on them. Doing this can put holes in the side of the pan.
Also, you may need to position the pickup screen by carefully bending the tube so that it has about 1/4" space at the bottom of the pan. It is also a good idea to test any oil pump before installing it in the engine.

John

This message was edited by JM on 11-8-13 @ 5:03 AM

bosborn    -- 11-11-2013 @ 12:47 PM
  Thank you both for the replies. I elected to go with a rebuilt long body from C&G this time rather than do the modifications to the pan.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6694