Topic: 40 Ford window regulator replacement

Turks46    -- 11-06-2013 @ 12:39 PM
  I’ve got a 40 Ford 2Dr sedan and have to replace the driver’s side window regulator and glass. Anyone have any experience doing this? From the few posts I’ve seen, it looks like a bear because of the limited access in the door cavity. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

40guy    -- 11-06-2013 @ 1:30 PM
  Yes it is a bear. I've done it many times. I like to assemble the glass, track, and regulator on the bench and install as a unit. I'm sure others have their own way but this works for me. Above all; I recommend patience, patience, patience. Don't get upset and begin to jerk and snatch. Calmly find where the hang up is. I also recommend putting the front guide in last and then adjust.

40guy    -- 11-06-2013 @ 1:30 PM
  Yes it is a bear. I've done it many times. I like to assemble the glass, track, and regulator on the bench and install as a unit. I'm sure others have their own way but this works for me. Above all; I recommend patience, patience, patience. Don't get upset and begin to jerk and snatch. Calmly find where the hang up is. I also recommend putting the front guide in last and then adjust.

40guy    -- 11-06-2013 @ 1:31 PM

deuce_roadster    -- 11-06-2013 @ 2:26 PM
  Sounds like it REALLY is a bear of a job!
2X on the patience.

40guy    -- 11-06-2013 @ 2:57 PM
  I'm sorry guys, I feel sooooooo stupid. I don't know whats up with my computer

Chris in MA    -- 11-06-2013 @ 4:16 PM
  Front or rear?

The front isn't too bad, I put the regulator in place from the bottom, then slowly lowered the glass onto the regulator. Pay attention to the stop screw, it goes in the higher of the two positions, otherwise the window just rolls off. it will take a few tries, but the front is relatively simple compared to the rear.

The rear... listen to 40Guy, glass and track on the bench then to car. Take your time and stay calm. I picked up many more gray hairs getting these in!

There is a post on the HAMB with a process to reinstall the window on the regulator with the regulator in place but I cannot locate it at the moment. The idea was to loosely install the regulator and put the window in towards the rear at an angle and get he tracks to meet with the spring loaded arms. (I found this to not be as easy as it sounds, you will need a helper, try to find one over 9 years old, just my advice on this.) the only access is an apx 2" hole that you can reach both the window track and the regulator arm with your fingers. Stock up on BandAids.

It worked before I fixed it...

Turks46    -- 11-07-2013 @ 7:16 AM
  Thanks for the help guys. It's the DS front regulator that I'll be replacing. Is the window held in the channel with tape or welting and can you pull the regulator without separating the window from the channel? For example - wedging and holding the raised glass in the frame somehow ? Thx

40guy    -- 11-07-2013 @ 7:50 AM
  The glass in the channel is held in with glass setting tape which can be purchased at any auto glass shop. It comes in different thicknesses. If you are able to pull the glass out of the channel, the glass can be removed from the top { garnish & vent already removed }. Then everything else out the bottom. Mine is a coupe and I don't know if it would be any different on a sedan.

TomO    -- 11-07-2013 @ 8:04 AM
  Here is a link to the illustrated instructions

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_drawings_body.htm

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6693