Topic: Holley 4 barrel carb hesitation right off idle

grumpy-g    -- 11-05-2013 @ 9:58 PM
  Can anyone solve my engine hesitation problem between idle and transition period. I have 59ab engine with a Mercury crank, offy intake and heads, isky cam with a 390 cfm holley 4 barrel. Engine runs great except for hesitation right off of idle.

flathead4rd    -- 11-06-2013 @ 6:31 AM
  What distributor are you using? Sounds like an advance problem. Other wise I would check the accelerator pump on the carb.

supereal    -- 11-06-2013 @ 6:35 AM
  Check the accelerator pump for proper delivery.

trjford8    -- 11-06-2013 @ 7:10 AM
  I've never had good luck with the Holley 390. Had a similar problem and years ago went to the Edelbrock 500. I never looked at another Holley again. I'm sure some have had good luck with them, but I see way too many used Holley's at swap meets.

Stroker    -- 11-06-2013 @ 8:36 AM
  In "the day",(when the Edelbrock 4-bbl manifold was introduced)the favored carb was the Stromberg "A", which was sourced as a 51 OEM Buick straight-eight item. These were sized to maintain venturi velocity in 300 cubic inch applications, and had a counter-weighted mechanical secondary. We had one on an 5/16x1/4 8BA and it was absolutely
seamless in operation. Being a Stromberg, it used the same jet design as a 97, and you could re-jet using the same jet wrench without opening up the carb. As I recall, this was an Edelbrock recommendation when the flathead 4bbl's came out. Probably hard to find today, but perfect for your application.

trjford8    -- 11-06-2013 @ 5:34 PM
  Stroker, back in the day one of the carbs of choice was the Carter WCFB which came off many of the mid 50 GM cars. The early four barrel manifolds were designed with the bolt pattern for these carbs.Not familiar with the Stromberg A, but it sounds comaparible to the WCFB. The WCFB used to be easy to find , but the GM restorers have thinned the supply.

trjford8    -- 11-06-2013 @ 5:34 PM
  Stroker, back in the day one of the carbs of choice was the Carter WCFB which came off many of the mid 50 GM cars. The early four barrel manifolds were designed with the bolt pattern for these carbs.Not familiar with the Stromberg A, but it sounds comaparible to the WCFB. The WCFB used to be easy to find , but the GM restorers have thinned the supply.

Stroker    -- 11-07-2013 @ 4:33 PM
  Other early 4bblcarbs with that bolt spacing included the Rochester that was OEM on 52-54 Cadillac's, which displaced 331 cubes.

What was different, and useful on the Stromberg Buick carb however was the fact that it had mechanical progressive linkage for the secondaries plus; it had a second set of butterflies that were weighted with a counterweight which required that the engine actually had to overcome that weight with sufficient venturi flow before the secondaries would open. That, and the fact that it was so easily jetted using the supplies and tools we were used to made it a winner. I believe that we installed that carb in 1952, which of course pre-dates most mid 50's Chev/Pontiac/Plymouth/Dodge/Desoto/Oldsmobile,Nash/Hudson etc. OHV 4-bbl applications.

The Edelbrock 4-bbl carb for Flatmotors was a stroke of genius, as it was far simpler to tune than a pair of 97's or Holly's. The only issue for the 49-53 crowd was dealing with the stock ignition. Mallory offered a solution, which had a "real" centrifugal advance, and a "real" vacuum "retard" to replace the 8BA system.

trjford8    -- 11-07-2013 @ 5:05 PM
  You're right the Mallory was the way to go on the ignition.

grumpy-g    -- 11-09-2013 @ 7:49 PM
  Holley carb hesitation. I am running a Mallory electronic ign. We had the carb apart 3 times. Put a new Holley on same problem. Played with the timing no difference. Is there anyone in the Pa. area that is good on flatheads? I've tried all the good shops in town. No one knows much about flatheads here.

carcrazy    -- 11-09-2013 @ 9:53 PM
  You can try raising the fuel level in the bowl slightly to get the main metering system to come in sooner. Increasing the size of the accelerator pump jets to better cover the gap between the idle system and the main system should also help.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6692