Topic: Won't start issue

lightflyer1    -- 11-01-2013 @ 5:09 PM
  I have a restored 1935 Ford with a flathead V8. I broke my leg over a year ago and due to several surgeries and down time I haven't started it since the break. I fully charged the battery and tried to start with no success. I removed the fuel line connection to the carb to insure fuel was pumping and it is. Reconnected the fuel line. Tried priming it with gas and then a shot of starting fluid and it doesn't even fire at all. Turns over okay but won't fire a cylinder. Checked spark at plug and not getting any fire to the plugs. I have a solid state voltage regulator on it. Any help on what could be the issue?

4dFordSC    -- 11-01-2013 @ 7:25 PM
  Try running a file over the points.

40 Coupe    -- 11-02-2013 @ 5:12 AM
  sometimes a non conductive film can deposit on the points preventing them from closing properly. either clean the points or remove the distributor and have it serviced, timed and have the condenser and coil checked out.

carcrazy    -- 11-02-2013 @ 11:46 AM
  First, I would check for electrical continuity at each connection in the ignition system: wire from ignition switch to coil, coil to rotor contact, condenser to distributor, and all ground connections. If all of these check out good, I would suspect one of the following is defective: condenser, coil, or ignition resistor. Good luck on your attempts to get this V8 running. Please let us know what you determine to be at fault.

MG    -- 11-02-2013 @ 2:34 PM
  Defective or dirty ON/Off Ignition switch? Try messaging the switch by flipping it on and off several times. When on, you should get a slight negative discharge as seen on your ammeter before you try to turn the engine over.

This message was edited by MG on 11-3-13 @ 8:25 PM

TomO    -- 11-02-2013 @ 5:09 PM
  Check for voltage at the input to the coil. It should be around 3.5 volts with the points closed and around 6 volts with the points open.

If you don't have 6 volts with the points open, your ignition switch or a connection could be the problem.

If you do not have around 3.5 volts when the points are closed, check your points and the resistor

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6677