Topic: 1938 Restoration Questions

Frosty    -- 11-01-2013 @ 8:38 AM
  Got as few questions about the restoration of my 1938 Fordor Deluxe. Any help would be appreciated.

Is there an assembly manual available for the restoration of these cars?

Is the steering column black up to the steering lock and then the interior color beyond that? Does anyone manufacture the interior colors in rattle cans?

Is the engine bay always black or is it painted the body color?

Is there someone who sells a full electrical harness or is it sold in modules only?

TonyM    -- 11-01-2013 @ 9:50 AM
  There is no restoration "assembly manual" for these cars; there are Ford Motor Company Service Bulletins and other maintenance manuals and they are available from most Vintage Ford Parts Vendors.

There is the Early Ford V-8 Club of America publication titled The 1938 - 1939 Ford Book. This work will answer many of your restoration questions concerning 1938 Fords. If you are restoring your 1938 Ford to original, then you should purchase this book.

Firewall/dash under hood is body color. Two full color photographs of a 1938 Ford engine compartment can be found on page CF-6 of the 1938-1939 Ford Book.

Narragansett Reproductions makes wiring harness for most early V-8 Fords. http://www.narragansettreproductions.com/index.html

Also, EFV-8 Club Member Tyree Harris of Bumpass makes wiring harness for V-8 Ford. He can be found in your club directory and in the V-8 Times.

1938 Ford Steering Column is not black.

78-73B

This message was edited by TonyM on 11-1-13 @ 10:05 AM

TonyM    -- 11-01-2013 @ 9:53 AM
  Here is a 1938 Ford Steering Column. It is not black.

78-73B

TonyM    -- 11-01-2013 @ 9:57 AM
  Here is another 1938 Ford Steering Column. The color is called "Zephyr Beige."

78-73B

trjford8    -- 11-01-2013 @ 11:12 AM
  The 39-39 Ford book by the V-8 Club is the most complete book you will find on these cars. It's a very detailed book and along with the service bulletins you can get most ,if not all of your questions answered. Naturally you are always welcome to come here and we will help as much as we can with your questions. You can purchase the 38-39 book here on the web site or you can order by phone by calling 707-226-5256 between 8:00am-5:00pm PST. If you don't have the book it would make a great Christmas present.

joe b    -- 11-01-2013 @ 1:27 PM
  Your firewall will be body color as the body was painted as a unit;the hood also. The inner fenders etc. are black. Also, the steering column is painted all the way down to the steering box as it was also painted as a unit. You see lots of cars with the steering column painted black where it comes out of the firewall but that is not right.You might try Bill Hirsch for spray cans. If you can take the column or a part of it to a good paint store they should be able to match it.

Frosty    -- 11-01-2013 @ 5:04 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have the service bulletins and maintenance manual. It looks like I'll have to get the 1938-39 ford book before I continue.
Great shots of the steering columns. I'll take the steering wheel hub to the paint shop for a match.

john38coupe    -- 11-17-2013 @ 1:34 PM
  Purchased my Zephyr Beige from TCP Global (858-909-2110) Code # for that color is IM-038. Great match for original color. There are many components in your 38 interior that are that color and it may be helpful to check each for condition to save time. Each should be listed in the V8 Club Ford Book. Its the best restoration tool you will ever own.

v8teditor    -- 11-19-2013 @ 7:02 AM
  Auto Color Library is a division of TCP Global specializing in classic auto color paint. They service the auto paint industry and manufacture their own paint.

Auto Color Library was established by V-8er Jimmy "Chips" Wells. He is extremely knowledgeable about classic car paint and has hundreds, if not thousands, of original paint chips. Auto Color Library advertises in the V-8 TIMES.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6676