Topic: Installing 1933/34 Metal Valve Stems

SteveC    -- 01-22-2010 @ 9:29 AM
  When installing metal valve stems in '33-34 wheels, is a bridge washer used like in a Model A or does the stem just fit in the well? Thank you.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-28-2010 @ 12:14 PM
  hi
the latest AACA magazine ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE has some info on the SCHRADER metal valve stems, the FORD metal went up to 1933 and in 1934 and after had the rubber stems,
so if you have a 34 you do not have to worry, and if you have a 33 I would go with the MODEL A and B,type
I doubt that FORD would have changed the way they installed the metal valve stems,
maybe a good idea would to order a 1933 1934 FORD V8 BOOK, which you can do on this web site,
I would go with metal stem fits in the well

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-28-2010 @ 3:53 PM
  hi SteveC
also try COKER TIRES, they can get on the right path,
to the tire valves, metal or rubber
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

3w2    -- 01-28-2010 @ 8:38 PM
  SteveC,

Except for a slightly different length valve stem, all of the parts are carryovers from the '30-'31 Model A, including the bridge washer and the bridge washer nut. You will invite trouble if you do not use the bridge washers as they seal off the inner tube around the valve stem.

Ford used these all metal valve assemblies until the 1935 model year, regardless of what might be printed in the AACA magazine.

Dave

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-29-2010 @ 9:29 AM
  Sounds LOGICAL to me,that the metal vavle stems went to 1935 with the wire wheels,and it 1936 went to the steel dish wheels,and used the rubber stems,
just goes to show you that do not believe everything to read,
if you are going to have your car judged,
you should buy the judging standards, and the 1935 FORD BOOK from the EARLY FORD V8 CLUB,
otherwise you will be doing things maybe more than once,
this just my 2 cents,37RAGTOPMAN

SteveC    -- 01-31-2010 @ 5:27 AM
  Dave, thanks for the input. I've looked high and low for a part number change to the valve stems and can't find one. Looking in the '33/34 guide, the stem assembly shown appears to be the same as '31 Model A.

My real quandry is how the bridge washer spans the well in the wheel. It appears that it has to be carefully fitted so that the stem doesn't "lean" when the tube is inflated. I'll just have to play with it. There are several variations of the bridge washer, i.e. the angle of the bend of the washer's "ears" that can change length of distance the stem protrudes from the well.

No doubt that the metal stems were used through 1934. I plan to install original Shraeder 6700X stems unless I can determine that the part number changed.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=666