Topic: Previous Dearborn Award Winners

plenker    -- 10-23-2013 @ 10:13 AM
  As a newbie to this Early Ford culture, I have lots to learn! I purchased a nice early Ford convertible that has a very interesting heritage, including having been recognized previously with a Dearborn Award. I am curious if records of the previous award winners are maintained and if so, is it possible as a subsequent owner of a car with this outstanding pedigree, for me to obtain a copy of the previously awarded certificate / badge.

Kens 36    -- 10-23-2013 @ 12:13 PM
  Plenker,

Congratulations on your purchase of what should be a fine automobile. I'm assuming you have joined the Early Ford V-8 Club and have started receiving our excellent magazine, the V-8 Times.

The Club awards the Dearborn award to the vehicle's owner, so it does not pass down with the car when sold. Unless the owner chose to give you the Dearborn plaque, it is not possible to receive the award. The Club does not maintain judging sheets from National Meets; these are given to the owner.

The record of the car's previous Dearborn award depends on when it was awarded. In recent years, the Judging Standards Committee has maintained a database of awards. The best record, though, would be the report of the meet at which the car won a Dearborn and any subsequent awards. These reports are in the V-8 Times a few months after each National Meet.

If you can send me a private message with the previous owner's name and the approximate time the Dearborn was awarded, I would be glad to look up the report for you in the V-8 Times.

Ken

plenker    -- 10-23-2013 @ 3:10 PM
  That would be nice of you. I have indeed joined our local Early Ford V8 club - lots of history there - this car has been loved by many of these guys since it was completed years ago (the previous owner passed away and left good memories for the group). I was told at our last meeting that my car was driven to Detroit. I need to nail down the details - because I'm thinking that is where the Award was issued - at a National meet there. Thanks for your response - I'll get back with you when I have more info. Paul

40ford    -- 10-24-2013 @ 9:22 AM
  Hi Paul. Welcome to the Club! Milly Scheidt is the current secretary of the Judging Standards Committee - JSC. If you will send her an email at millysch@frontiernet.net with the name of the previous owner, she can send you the information you're looking for. She said the records actually go back to the beginning of V-8 National Meet judging and she has them.

FrankM-RG5    -- 10-26-2013 @ 5:03 AM
  I believe you can bring it to a national meet and get your own award. There is a good chance you may run into people familiar with the car. In my opinion a national meet is the most fun one can have with their car.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6650