Topic: Headliner

JohnA    -- 01-22-2010 @ 7:54 AM
  Can anyone share with me the secert and or tips on gettiing the headliner bows out of the car, on a 48 2 dr sedan.

carcrazy    -- 01-22-2010 @ 12:27 PM
  If they are like the ones on a '53 Ford Tudor Sedan you just push straight upward on them at the ends and they will come out.

trjford8    -- 01-22-2010 @ 7:50 PM
  You can twist them in the mounting holes so the bow is towards the floor. Then pull downward and they should snap out of the holes. Be sure to mark the holes in the sides of the roof and number the bows in sequence from front to back. You want to make sure the proper length bow goes back in the correct place.

swmddo    -- 01-26-2010 @ 5:06 AM
  On another note, is there a list of what grabbers and/or tack strips are for attaching the headliner? My '48 sedan coupe only has a tack strip below the rear window, around the package tray, and only two grabbers above the doors. I don't know if I am missing any.

Thanks

Steve

supereal    -- 01-26-2010 @ 11:15 AM
  It has been a long time since I had a '46 sedan coupe, but I recall that the headliner was held in place by the window gasket, requiring that the window assembly had to be removed to get the headliner in place without wrinkling. A great source for information regarding installation of interior trim is LeBaron Bonney. Their website is www.lebaronbonney.com They will often provide copies of the instruction sheets upon request.

swmddo    -- 01-26-2010 @ 1:10 PM
  Yes, thanks. I got the headliner from them, and I think I figured it out. Amazing how the instructions provided are usually kinda vague...assumes you've done this before. At any rate, I am well along on installing the headliner. I'll send some pics when I am completed.

Thanks.

Steve

supereal    -- 01-28-2010 @ 9:43 AM
  Steve: I think that is true of most printed instructions. The first convertible interior we installed was a real head scratcher, particularly when the top well was tackled. I called L-B, and had them talk me thru it. This is a benefit of working with a good provider in a day and age when vendors don't seem to know or care what they are selling. So many instructions say "do this" with no indication of how. I suspect, in some cases, it should say "here you need a miracle"!

194dee1    -- 01-29-2010 @ 6:45 AM
  I put in a new headliner in my 41 in 2003 and it went ok. I numbered the ribs so I knew where they went, I did not remove the rear window and was able to tuck the liner into the rubber that is around the window after cutting a hole for the window. I remember tacking around the door opening. I can't remember how I did the front over the window. After installation I found a local place that steamed the liner and it took out rinkles. Hope this helps.
John

supereal    -- 01-29-2010 @ 12:28 PM
  If you don't have access to a steamer, misting the headliner lightly will also shrink the wrinkles. Just don't overdo it, or you may have water stains. A very good way to aid restoration is to have a digital camera at hand, and take lots of pictures when you disassemble any parts of the car. Usually, the process is spread out over a long period, and the photos are a great help in getting anything back together.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=665