Topic: Oil Burners

Robert/Texas    -- 10-23-2013 @ 6:27 AM
  I have a 1937 Fordor Touring Sedan with the original engine and 61k miles on it. The engine runs nicely and cruises well at 55+ mph but it smokes a little (blue smoke out of the tailpipe but little to no smoke from the oil filler cap) Compression check shows right at 90# on all 8 cylinders and it burns about a quart of oil in 250 miles. Oil pressure is just over 120 on start but goes to under 10 when it warms up. I intend to just driving it this way.
I am using Castrol 20/50 oil in it and it is due for an oil change. Someone mentioned that straight 40 weight oil will due better in oil burners. All advice is welcome.

Robert/Texas    -- 10-23-2013 @ 6:33 AM
  Sorry, I should have read ahead. I have my answer and will pick up some more Castrol 20/50 on my way out today.

supereal    -- 10-23-2013 @ 7:06 AM
  It is likely that some piston rings have become stuck in your low mileage, but old, engine. For many years non detergent oil was the only type available, and sludge buildup was the result. With good compression and acceptable oil consumption, it doesn't make sense to do an overhaul. With regular oil changes, and some driving, it is probable it won't get worse, and perhaps better.

supereal    -- 10-23-2013 @ 7:06 AM
  It is likely that some piston rings have become stuck in your low mileage, but old, engine. For many years non detergent oil was the only type available, and sludge buildup was the result. With good compression and acceptable oil consumption, it doesn't make sense to do an overhaul. With regular oil changes, and some driving, it is probable it won't get worse, and perhaps better.

Robert/Texas    -- 10-23-2013 @ 7:27 AM
  Thanks, good point superreal. I bought the car with 58.7k miles on it just under 4 years ago. I think that the oil consumption and pressure has improved a little. I change the oil quite often.

shogun1940    -- 10-23-2013 @ 6:32 PM
  most engines that burn oil and do not have a valve seal or guide problem have a bearing problem not a ring problem. If you take off the oil pan and do an oil leakage test or plastigauge your bearings .you may find your problem

shogun1940    -- 10-23-2013 @ 6:33 PM
  most engines that burn oil and do not have a valve seal or guide problem have a bearing problem not a ring problem. If you take off the oil pan and do an oil leakage test or plastigauge your bearings .you may find your problem

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6648