Topic: Removing 1940 Coupe Hinge Pins

dolmer    -- 10-22-2013 @ 8:27 AM
  I am trying to change my mirrors to those that fit on new hinge pins, Got the favored tool, but nothing is moving. What should I do next. Is the original pin soft enough for me to drill with typical household drill bits or should I take it to a machine shop?

dolmer

ford38v8    -- 10-22-2013 @ 9:10 AM
  Dolmer, the "favored" tool is patience and elbow grease. That C clamp thingy is no more than a comercialized version of the device most guys build at home, and doesn't work any better, either. Drilling is usually the method of last choice, but favorable if you are able to line up a drill centered on the pin correctly. File a flat on top for a center punch and start out with a 1/8" bit. As you graduate to larger bits, each is able to make small adjustments to correct center. As the wall thickness thins, you'll be able to move the pin with a punch, but be sure to back up the hinge with something solid.

Alan

supereal    -- 10-22-2013 @ 9:49 AM
  Support the rear edge of the door to take the load off the pins. They are almost always grooved with wear, and catch in the hinge. The knurled part of the pin rusts in place, and makes removal one tough job. Be sure to protect the area around the hinge if you drill or pound on the pin. It is easy to damage the area, as I found out the hard way the first time I tried to get pins out. Drilling in close quarters is difficult, at best, and if you get off center, or drill oversize, you will have to find or make oversize pins. We use an air chisel with a pointed end, as trying to pound the pins out with a hammer and punch is very difficult. I installed a hinge mirror on one of my Model A's, and swore I wouldn't do it again. It just isn't worth the struggle to get the pins out.

TomO    -- 10-23-2013 @ 10:25 AM
  IMHO unless you are just starting a restoration, I would not use the hinge pin mirrors. I know that the right side cowl mounted mirror is just for your wife to check her lipstick, so I would not install one. Old Henry has a trick he uses with his sun visor and a mirror that seems to fix the blind spot problem on the right. The left cowl mounted mirror works just fine on a 40.

Soaking with a penetrating oil and using heat along with an air chisel can remove the pins, but most other methods do not work very well and increase the likelyhood of damaging the door or body.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 10-23-13 @ 10:26 AM

ford1ford    -- 10-25-2013 @ 10:49 AM
  The air chisel super mentions I found work very well

ford1ford    -- 10-25-2013 @ 10:51 AM

ford1ford    -- 10-25-2013 @ 10:51 AM

ford1ford    -- 10-25-2013 @ 10:58 AM

Rono    -- 10-25-2013 @ 5:43 PM
  Is it worth it to replace the entire hinge set with aftermarket hinges or is that job just as difficult? I know the hinges are expensive, but when you figure the time involved, maybe not so much.

Rono

Stroker    -- 10-25-2013 @ 6:13 PM
  An air chisel, running on typical 100+ psi line pressure can be pretty uncontrollable. I prefer
a riveting gun, which has a "teasing" trigger, and with the addition of a pressure regulator set at about 30 psi, you can drive the pin out without the risk of the bit walking away from the center of the pin. These tools use the same bits as an air chisel, but are much more controllable. Stop by your local airport, and the A&P should be able to source one for you.

4dFordSC    -- 10-26-2013 @ 3:48 AM
  How well does the air chisel work?

wmgmitchell    -- 10-26-2013 @ 7:36 AM
  Bob Drake has a special on the two front hinges for a 40. The price is $150. Regular price $225.

Bill

ford1ford    -- 11-01-2013 @ 12:12 AM
  You can buy a model A truck miror there bigger in diamiter. with a little fideling can be bolted to a chrome arm I think they make a big differece.Down side== there painted black,most people dont notice.Worked for me!

ford1ford    -- 11-01-2013 @ 12:14 AM
  You can buy a model A truck miror there bigger in diamiter. with a little fideling can be bolted to a chrome arm I think they make a big differece.Down side== there painted black,most people dont notice.Worked for me!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6645