Topic: Fuel Pump - Electric and manual

dolmer    -- 10-22-2013 @ 8:21 AM
  My manual fuel pump quit working on my 40. I ordered a new one and it didn't work either so I sent it back to Mac's. In the meantime, I put on an electric (with pressure regulator and gauge) and the non working manual. Runs fine, but am I asking for trouble by pushing fuel through old pump?

dolmer

ford38v8    -- 10-22-2013 @ 9:19 AM
  Dolmer, you've arrived at the point must guys finally get to with corn gas these days. You might consider leaving the manual pump in place for looks, and bypassing straight to the carb, if only to reduce the heat soak effect from the pump. (Corn gas boils at a lower temperature.) Othrrwise, the only problem you might encounter would be forgetting to turn off the pump when you stop. That being the elephant in the room, think seriously about how the pump is wired in.

Alan

39topless    -- 10-22-2013 @ 9:44 AM
  ignore

This message was edited by 39topless on 10-24-13 @ 9:22 AM

dolmer    -- 10-22-2013 @ 3:48 PM
  Has anybody else run into the problem that the fuel pump rod wont come out of the engine. I have tried to pull on it and it moves slightly but won't come out? Any suggestions

dolmer

alanwoodieman    -- 10-22-2013 @ 4:33 PM
  gum, varnish on the rod, pull up and twist around and it will eventually come out, I also tried to spray some MMO on the shaft-don't know if it helped. worse case is that the rod has "peened" over on the end and that may be what you have

supereal    -- 10-22-2013 @ 5:36 PM
  If you,remove the pump rod, your oil pressure will suffer. The pump rod runs thru a bushing that intersects the oil gallery. . Leave the rod in place if you bypass the stock pump.

TomO    -- 10-23-2013 @ 9:48 AM
  With 2 fuel pumps that don't work, I would start to look for the cause. Some common causes are:

Vacuum leak on the supply side. This can be a bad flex line or poor connections, or an electric pump that is installed with rubber hoses.

Worn push rod, the push rod should move about 1/4 inch.

Plugged fuel line. The fuel line from the tank may be plugged with rust, an electric pump will work for a while, but will eventually fail as the rust continues to build up and closes the line completely.

I agree with Supereal about the push rod affecting oil pressure. It will also increase oil burning, because the oil will splash up into the breather without the rod.

Did you remove the baffle before you tried to remove the push rod?

Tom

ford38v8    -- 10-23-2013 @ 9:58 AM
  TomO always has to take all the fun out of things 'cause he aproaches questions so logically! Good stuff, Tom!

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6644