Topic: 1953 Paint and Trim Codes

deluxe40    -- 01-21-2010 @ 5:29 PM
  Can someone tell me the name of the '53 paint color with code = "SL". Also, the trim code = "L"? Thanks.

trjford8    -- 01-21-2010 @ 6:23 PM
  Glen, go to; www.lovefords.org. They show the Ford codes. It looks like you have the two-tone combination of Flamingo Red and Sungate Ivory. Use the search feature and type in" 1953 Ford paint codes".

This message was edited by trjford8 on 1-21-10 @ 6:30 PM

deluxe40    -- 01-21-2010 @ 7:34 PM
  Thanks, Tom. That is a nice web site. I did not know about it. I had to be a little careful about which box to type my question into. The box on the home page sent me off to "JustAsk.com" which is also useful, but charges a minimum of $9 to answer a question. Clicking on "info" got me down to the VIN and CODE section, which does not charge. I'm considering a '53 Victoria project and Flamingo Red looks like a classy fifties color, although it looks more bright pink than red in the pictures I have seen.

trjford8    -- 01-22-2010 @ 8:00 PM
  Glen, my neighbor is doing a 53 Vic. It was still in the factory Flaming/Sungate Ivory colors, but they were obviously faded. He just had the car repainted and the paint store mixed the colors based on a reading they took on a part of the decklid not exposed to the sun. The color actually came out a little darker and looks great. He also used Wimbledon white on the roof instead of the Sungate Ivory(which is a little more yellow). The combo looks real nice. His car had the Flamingo and white naugahyde upholstery and I was able to find material that was very close in color to the original upholstery. The entire combo really looks good. Like you he was a little nervous about the color, but now that it is done he's very happy.

Big Red 51    -- 01-23-2010 @ 6:47 AM
  Glen, you will like the Flamingo Red and Ivory, plus the women just love it. It is more pink than red but very typical of the fifties. I got my acyrlic enamel from Tower Paint in Oskosk,WI. Mine has been on since '94 and still looks great. It makes the Vicky a real eye catcher.
Don

donclink    -- 01-23-2010 @ 7:20 AM
  Here is a link to one of our members '53 Victoria in the Flamingo Red/White trim. It's a beauty. I love the '50s two tone colors. I had a '55 Sunliner in my youth that I bought from my Aunt. It was Black on Yellow, which at the time, I thought was un-cool.

http://norgv8club.org/norgcpg/displayimage.php?album=7&pos=96

Rich53    -- 01-23-2010 @ 10:49 AM
  I have a paint code chip set here for 1953 and S is definetly Flamingo Red, and L is Sungate Ivory.

deluxe40    -- 01-23-2010 @ 8:22 PM
  Thanks to all for the info on '53 colors and for the picture. And, regarding donclink's '55 Sunliner, below is something I found in the garage a few days ago. Don't know what happened to the model, but I distinctly remember painting it yellow and black. (No accounting for taste.)

p.s. I am probably not going to bid on the '53 Victoria. All of my questions were answered except the crucial one about the match between the number on the VIN plate and the number on the title. Oh, well...

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=661