Topic: SHIPPING ADVICE NEEDED

39topless    -- 10-11-2013 @ 12:43 PM
  What would be the best way to ship a pair of '39 ford rear fenders about 1,000 miles? Also, when buying from an add online, from someone you don't know who lives several states away , how can a guy protect himself from getting stiffed if he pays in advance?
Thank you,

trjford8    -- 10-11-2013 @ 1:07 PM
  A lot of people use Greyhound for fenders, etc. I don't trust UPS as they managed to break a NOS 40 grill that I bought that was packaged securely. They also dented a fender that a friend of mine bought.
As for the seller I would check the V-8 club roster to see if he is a member or find members in the seller's area who may know him. I do not do business with sellers from out of the country.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 10-11-13 @ 1:08 PM

ford38v8    -- 10-11-2013 @ 6:33 PM
  i agree with Tom re club members being more reliable vendors. The comraderie of fellow members is pretty strong in this regard.

I also had just the kind of transaction Tom describes: After being stiffed by a seller who had cashed my check 5 months earlier, I contacted two members who lived near him. My parts were shipped two days later, with an email apology to boot!

Alan

supereal    -- 10-11-2013 @ 9:34 PM
  Paying upfront for items unseen is an invitation to be scammed. We seldom buy from unknown sources, but if necessary, we use Paypal as a third party escrow. Tom and Alan's suggestion regarding contact with Club members in the area of the seller is probably the next best thing. After establishing contacts over the years, we have items sent on approval before payment from trusted vendors. As for shipping, we have used UPS with little problems. The key is to carefully crate parts, particularly sheet metal. I shipped a torque tube to a friend by UPS, and used the cardboard tube obtained from a carpet store. We ship engines on pallets by motor express.

39topless    -- 10-14-2013 @ 11:37 AM
  Great advice, as usual. Seller has used Greyhound before with better luck than UPS so we'll be going to the dogs. The seller will pack and ship for $100. Seems like a very reasonable price. Don't know yet if that includes insurance. The use of PayPal is another great idea. At least a buyer can dispute a transaction.
Thank you all for the responses.
Phil

Drbrown    -- 11-12-2013 @ 10:09 PM
  Regarding purchasing from an unknown party .... This is a somewhat delayed comment but I too was concerned about buying a part from a seller in a forum site who aside from his User Name, was only identified as living in a certain city and state. So I googled his User Name and the listed city/state. Using parts of his User Name and the listed city/state, Google found him as a member selling parts at a number of other car forums. Even though he used different User Names there, Google saw through them looking at the various forum conversations he posted and using his city/state address. In one or two communication postings on those forums his real name and Email address were revealed. I then did a reverse Email address check, went on the "Zabasearch.com site and eventually found his full name, names of relatives, full address, phone number and age ! Everything matched and since it was not a large price I proceeded to send a USPS MO and all came to a good end. All this should remind each of us how transparent our personal lives are.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6604