Topic: FORD 48 Conv Hydraulic Pump Help

fkunzendorf    -- 10-08-2013 @ 9:32 AM
  Hello Everyone!
I rebuilt the original Hydraulic convertible top pump on my Ford. I replace all hydraulic lines and cylinders.
The pump engine is working good, but the pump is not. I replace seals and gears, but I don;t get the pump to work.
Is there any tip or advice to make it work?

Tks!!

Fred

supereal    -- 10-08-2013 @ 2:19 PM
  What type of fluid are you using? Are you sure that the fluid valve at the top of the pump is working? Does the pump push liquid at the control valve on both in and out? It may be necessary to bleed all the air from the system. When the top is down, so the cylinders are at the end of the stroke, disconnect the line at the base of each cylinder, one at a time, and have someone run the pump and the valve until the fluid has no bubbles, being sure the reservoir on the pump is kept filled. You may also have to bleed the return line to the pump. As long as there is air in the system, the top cylinders won't operate. The process is much like the bleeding of a brake system.

fkunzendorf    -- 10-08-2013 @ 2:50 PM
  Hello Supereal
I m using DOT3.
I tried the pump outside the car, to check if the pump move the liquid, but it doesn't.
I changed the seals and gears on the pump...

JT Ford    -- 10-08-2013 @ 6:54 PM
  You should have used ATF. Brake Fluid is trouble.
But, if the pump isn't pumping ATF would not help.

bo8109b    -- 10-08-2013 @ 7:29 PM
  Hydro-E-Lectric's pump manual will answer all your questions. Available by calling them at 800-343-4261 or buy from them on Ebay. Cost 6.95 plus 3.00 shipping.

flathead48    -- 10-09-2013 @ 6:30 AM
  I had trouble with mind, took it apart and primed it, worked find after that. Good Luck

flathead48    -- 10-09-2013 @ 6:31 AM
  I had trouble with mind, took it apart and primed it, worked find after that. Good Luck

supereal    -- 10-10-2013 @ 12:07 PM
  I agree with JT. The original system used brake fluid because it was the only choice. Brake fluid is an excellent paint remover, and is hygroscopic, meaning it attracts moisture. The water collects in the bottom of the pump reservoir, and if it freezes, the pump will be damaged. My '47 convert uses ATF, and works fine. I installed an aftermarket pump from Hydro-E-Lectric because I couldn't find an undamaged original, and a repro is very expensive. I designed a control box, as the dash switch that came with the pump wasn't heavy enough to allow the pump to work correctly. The conversion isn't visible, as it is mounted ahead of the spare tire in the trund, behind the rear seat.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6593