Topic: OLD TIRES?

Lenny    -- 10-07-2013 @ 1:23 PM
  My 37 runs on vintage bias Firestone wide white
6.50-16 tires. They are in good shape, plenty of tread
depth.
They are about 15 years old.
I run my ford at highway speeds up to 65 mph.
Should they be replaced?

CharlieStephens    -- 10-07-2013 @ 1:58 PM
  Go to HAMB (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/) and search on "tire date codes". I think you will come to the conclusion they should be replaced. You might also inquire at your local tire shop (of course they are in the business of selling tires).

Charlie Stephens

fla48    -- 10-07-2013 @ 5:33 PM
  With tires that old, you are a disaster waiting to happen.

1934 Ford    -- 10-07-2013 @ 5:50 PM
  Good question. In the first place running a 74 year old truck at 65MPH with a 4:11 rearend on any tires sounds dangerous. (Even more so if they were radials) But because they are garage kept bias ply's, I'd be more comfortable at 55MPH.
My theory is that bias plys are good for the tread life and raidials are good only for the rubber life around the steel belts, which is 5 years outside and
6 years garaged.
I have bias ply on my 35 Ford Pickup (that are "Allstate" tire sold by Sears in the 1970's)
My 34 Sedan that tours every year on the Glidden, Sentimental and other tours runs bias tires that are now 9 years old and show tread wear to the point that I'm replacing them. Other cars with radials get new one every six years. My 35 Buick with radial had one blow out in the garage at 6 years, and my RV's have had the same fate with radials. Nothing ruins a tour like a blowout anywhere except in the garage at home.
With bias ply's watch the inside of the tread groves for dry rot, then replace.

1934 Ford's since 1972

supereal    -- 10-07-2013 @ 6:50 PM
  The chief enemy of rubber is ozone. While it is common in the atmosphere, generated by sunlight, it is also produced by high voltage electrical equipment and arc producing items such as electric motors. I once had a commercial odor eliminator that used ozone. When I learned of the effect on rubber, I hung several rubber items, such as large rubber bands, near the output. In a matter of days, the rubber fell apart. If vehicles are stored in an ozone rich environment, rubber components disintegrate, particularly tires. Tire manufacturers recommend replacement every 6-8 years due to the nearly invisible deterioration of the materials, even if there are no particular ozone generators present, such as shop tools with motors. It is a very good idea not to run on old tires in today's traffic and speeds.

This message was edited by supereal on 10-7-13 @ 6:52 PM

woodiewagon46    -- 10-08-2013 @ 2:24 PM
  Why would you even chance it? The cost of four tires is nothing compared to the piece of mind you will get by not worrying about your tires every time you use your car. Replace them!!

trjford8    -- 10-09-2013 @ 6:21 PM
  The cost of new tires is a lot cheaper than having an accident that could potentially cause a lot of other damage to the car or some serious injury to you or someone else. 15 year old tires are only good for "rollers" around the garage.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6592