Topic: Re wiring

smckiern    -- 10-06-2013 @ 9:50 PM
  I have a fairly original 40 sedan deluxe. It needs both new wiring harnesses. Should I consider converting from 6volt to 12 volt at this time and what problems might I encounter?

ford38v8    -- 10-06-2013 @ 11:14 PM
  Bob, welcome to our Forum, and glad you asked advice before rewiring your Ford. I feel, as many of us do, that 6 volts is perfectly suited to our old Fords, in that we don't have modern devices such as air conditioning and boom boxes to power up. An old car is a time machine in my view, and should impart the feel of how it was back un the day. Moreover, a 6 volt system with new wiring offers a chance to do it right after all these years of oxidation at every connection with the resulting voltage robbing electrical resistance.

I would suggest that you specify to your harness builder that all terminals be soldered afer crimping, to prevent the aforementioned oxidation damage. You may also consider soldering the bullet connectors upon installation for the same reason.

Thoroughly clean to bright metal all terminals and junctions before installation, and protect those high pressure connections with dialectric grease, which will seal against oxidation and galvanic corrosion. Do not use dialectric grease on low pressure contacts or switches, however.

Bob, I'd also encourage you to join the EFV8CA and a local Regional group. Sacramento Regional Group is the nearest to you, and would welcome you as a new member in a minute! A good bunch of guys and tons of experience for personal help with your Ford.

Alan

CharlieStephens    -- 10-07-2013 @ 12:10 AM
  The good news is that you can go ahead and order the harness. The 6 volt wiring is heavier than the 12 volt wiring. I doubt anyone would even make a harness with the smaller wire. A better question would be should you have them include turn signals? I don't know the answer to that one and would be interested in other people's thoughts.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 10-7-13 @ 12:11 AM

Norm    -- 10-07-2013 @ 11:49 AM
  I have a '48 F-1. No turn signals and only one tail light. I spoke with Rhode Island Wiring who made me a new harness that included turn signals (with switch) and two tail lights. It's done in proper colors and should be indistinguishable from how Henry might (should) have done it. Very nice workmanship with soldered connections (not just crimped).

trjford8    -- 10-07-2013 @ 6:25 PM
  I recommend that all old Fords have turn signals.Very few people understand hand signals any more and more often than not they think you are giving them "the bird" when making a right hand turn. It also helps when you don't have to roll down the window on a rainy day to give the hand signal. I come from a law enforcement background , so I'm probably more safety oriented than most. I also recommend seat belts.

smckiern    -- 10-08-2013 @ 4:45 PM
  Alan, Great advice.While this will never be a concourse car, original to me is best also. Great advice on the connections.

smckiern    -- 10-08-2013 @ 4:53 PM
  Thanks so much all. I will be joining the Sac Regional group also. My son is trying to have me complete this car by spring to join him with his 46 Chevy in touring people for weddings etc. Oh Boy, now a timetable.

51f1    -- 10-09-2013 @ 6:38 PM
  I also had the wiring for turn signals included when Rhode Island wiring furnished the wiring for my 51 F-1. They also furnished an after market turn signal switch with the proper cloth covered color coded wiring.

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6591