Topic: '41 hood alignment

jivin jer    -- 10-04-2013 @ 5:44 PM
  Hey,I'm a newbie. This is my first post. I have a '41 Super Deluxe cpe that I replaced some VERY sloppy hood hinges on. Now they are nice and tight but I can't get this hood aligned to save my life. Too many adjustments. Do you guys have any tips? Maybe just a "lift off" hood? Jerry

This message was edited by jivin jer on 10-4-13 @ 5:45 PM

ford1941    -- 10-04-2013 @ 7:37 PM
  Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the '41.

I had the same problem on my 41 Super Deluxe convertible and, unfortunately, there was no easy answer. I even went so far as to buy new hinges, but that did not help. It ended up just taking a lot of time and effort to get it right. I adjusted the hinges around through all the wiggle room I had in the bolts and went back and forth between each side (all the time being very careful not to scratch anything). Finally, I got each side dialed-in as close as I could, and then ended up actually using a rat-tail file to stretch a couple of the holes just a bit to allow me to get the extra bit of adjustment I needed for the right fit. The whole process took me a couple of weeks of back-and-forth, but I finally got the hood to where I wanted to it to be. Hopefully someone on the forum has a more scientific approach, but this is what I had to do.

jivin jer    -- 10-05-2013 @ 12:51 AM
  WOW, thanks for the reply. My first response is that it does sound like mountain climbing. I'm thinking that for some one that has done this (much) more than once there are some base lines or something. Thanks again. Jerry

joe b    -- 10-05-2013 @ 6:03 AM
  Jive In the May/June 2009 issue of the V-8 times there was an article "Aligning the 1941/1948 Hood" with photos. Pages 39 and 40. I believe you can find it on the V-8 website.

jivin jer    -- 10-05-2013 @ 8:11 AM
  Thanks Joe for the tip. So far I don't see any available.

supereal    -- 10-05-2013 @ 1:58 PM
  I am attaching the two pages Joe mentioned. Adjusting a hood to fit is, as said, a long process. Each adjustment changes the others. so the end result is a good compromise, but never perfect.

supereal    -- 10-05-2013 @ 2:07 PM
  And here is page two.

joe b    -- 10-05-2013 @ 2:52 PM
  Thanks Super You beat me to it I was going to send it this evening

jivin jer    -- 10-05-2013 @ 5:19 PM
  You guys are the greatest. A friend came over today and after about four hours we've got it to where I can do a little tweaking on the cowl (it's going to be painted)and get everything where it needs to be. The real secret was not opening to far to adjust the hinges. We went round and round because we would open it all the way to tighten up the bolts on the hinges not knowing that they had moved with the upward motion. It was a two man job. Thanks again. Jerry

This message was edited by jivin jer on 10-5-13 @ 5:20 PM

trjford8    -- 10-05-2013 @ 7:18 PM
  Make sure when you make the adjustments that you have the cowl lacing in place.

joe b    -- 10-06-2013 @ 6:07 AM
  When we do work like this on our old cars it tends to make the assembly line look like a miracle!

supereal    -- 10-06-2013 @ 7:54 AM
  When I visited the Rouge plant in the mid sixties, i saw workers on the line "adjusting" doors and hoods with a rubber cushioned sledge hammer! I wouldn't recommend that to the inexperienced, but it does explain how it was done as the line went by.

woodiewagon46    -- 10-06-2013 @ 7:59 AM
  Thanks Supereal, the hood on my '46 woodie fits OK but I have always wanted to fine tune it and the article will help. When I was aligning my hood I actually had to lean into the engine compartment and lift the rear portion of the hood up with my back and then have my wife tighten the bolts, it's a real pain but once you get it it really makes a difference.

supereal    -- 10-06-2013 @ 12:56 PM
  Been there, done that. When I restored my '47, we had to remove the fenders. When the hood was reattached, the "fun" began. The linkage, as you know, is complcated, and actually lifts and lowers the hood as it is opened and closed. Weak springs, worn linkage pieces or special bolts, can all affect the fit, as does the angle of the front fenders in reference to the firewall. As my friend Tom J. points out, the cowl lacing that goes under the back edge of the hood, must be correct and in place before adjusting.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6582