Topic: wisp of smoke from oil filler cap?

st1963    -- 10-04-2013 @ 2:07 PM
  I'm looking to purchase another flathead v-8 after an absence of several years from the club, and I recently test drove a 42 coupe. It drove very well, showing good temp, good oil pressure and with no unusual noises at all from the engine or anywhere else. After a "normal" drive of about 45 minutes at both city and highway speeds, I shut the engine off and checked under the hood, where I noticed a small bit of smoke drifting up from the vents on the oil filler cap. It was faint white smoke, nothing very heavy. The engine oil was full prior to the drive, and remained full afterwards. I don't recall seeing this on the flathead I owned years ago...is this something to be concerned about? I'm wondering what it may indicate. Thanks for any input anyone has.

Ross6860    -- 10-04-2013 @ 4:17 PM
  I believe it is a vented cap, so I would not think it is anything to worry about.

All engines "breathe" through the crankcase one way or another. The oldies breathed through a road-draft tube or through the crankcase breather. It is probably just some crankcase fumes coming out through the cap.

If you can, run a compression check just to make sure the engine isn't too far gone. The piston blow-by is what needs to get out of the crankcase. If the engine is really worn you will get a lot more blow-by.

My 2 cents. I have lots of engine experience, but I'm new to flatheads so maybe someone else will chime in.

supereal    -- 10-04-2013 @ 4:23 PM
  Smoke from the oil filler cap usually means there is piston ring blowby, likely due to worn or stuck rings. If is is not excessive, it is normal. To be safe, I'd run a dry/wet compression test. If the compression increases when oil is added to the cylinders, there is considerable wear which may require some costly work. Years ago, when new cars were scarce, auto parts stores sold a filler cap with a long metal tube which carried the blowby down and away from the inside of the vehicle.

st1963    -- 10-04-2013 @ 5:45 PM
  Thanks guys...My gut says it's probably nothing to worry about since it was so faint, and it is in fact a vented cap. It didn't have any exhaust smoke at all when starting, driving or idling. It only has 46,000 original miles on it and the engine has never been apart, so I'd be surprised if it was too worn, BUT I'll definitely take you advice and run that compression check just to make sure. I really appreciate the feedback, and look forward to getting back to my first automotive love...the flathead V-8's!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6581