Topic: 1947 Barcelona Blue modern paint match?

ford1941    -- 10-02-2013 @ 8:45 PM
  I am looking to repaint my 47 Ford Woodie in its original Barcelona Blue paint color, but am unable to find a match in a current Dupont or PPG paint. About a year ago, I was able to match the color to a valid DuPont Centari paint with code 54947A, but now my paint supplier says this color is no longer available (I understand Centari is being phased out by DuPont). The original Ford code is m-14221, the Ditzler PPG code is 10361, and the DuPont code is either 93-54947 or 246-54947. Does anyone know of a way to match this color to a current DuPont ChromaBase or PPG color (or other brand) I would consider a two-stage or single-stage paint? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

nelsb01    -- 10-03-2013 @ 9:34 AM
  Find a PPG company store. Not a parts store that sells paint, a actual PPG store. Go to www.PPG.com and enter your zip code to find one. You can also call PPG at 440-572-2800. Once you find a store, take a panel from your vehicle (I used one section of my 1936 hood) and take to this PPG store and ask them to match it. They will scan it and do a spray out for your approval. If you dont like it you can ask them to try again or go someplace else.
The key here is to find an actual PPG refinishing store, and not a NAPA store that sells PPG products. The PPG stores have a much better reseach and matching experience than the local auto parts person. (and besides the local auto parts guy most likely will charge you to mix a sample) It took me 2 days to get my sample spray out and it was right on.
Good luck ---
May I suggest that you try and stick with one stage -- Your painter will appreciate it.

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 10-3-13 @ 1:17 PM

42wagon    -- 10-03-2013 @ 10:18 AM
  Google Auto Color Library. They have virtually any paint color you can imagine for antique cars.I just looked they have Barcelona Blue in acrylic enamel and may also have it in lacquer. A couple of years ago I purchased Fathom Blue from them and was very pleased with their service. Ask for Jimmy Chips if you have any questions.

ford1941    -- 10-04-2013 @ 7:51 PM
  nelsb01 - Thank you for the tip. I checked per your instructions, and my paint supplier is an authorized PPG dealer. I will have to ask him about your approach of scanning one of my parts and creating a test sample. Even if I have to pay for the sample, it would be worth it for me to get the color right. Otherwise, like you say, if he is not flexible, I'll have to consider going with another supplier. Also, I used a single-stage on my last car (41 convertible), and I've been very happy with it. The only thing that would shy me away from a single-stage is if there is any chance the manufacturer will stop producing single-stage paints (DuPont is moving away from Centari, for example). Thanks

ford1941    -- 10-04-2013 @ 7:57 PM
  42wagon - Thank you as well for the tip. I have never actually tried Google Auto Color Library, but I will definitely check it out. I am at the point where I am shaking every tree and checking out every resource I can. I'm actually looking for an acrylic enamel in either single- or two-stage, so I will have to see what they have. Thank you.

ford1941    -- 10-04-2013 @ 7:59 PM
  duplicate

This message was edited by ford1941 on 10-4-13 @ 8:19 PM

ford1941    -- 10-04-2013 @ 8:18 PM
  duplicate

This message was edited by ford1941 on 10-4-13 @ 8:18 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6577