Topic: Ford V8 1938 from Russia

driver1    -- 09-27-2013 @ 3:37 AM
  Hi
i have a Ford V8 1938
i'm from Russia, Archangelsk, it's in nord-west part of Russia, about 800 miles from Moscow

i need your's help, couse i can't find some parts for mu Ford!

there are, for example - dash cloks, ash tray,lamps of head light and so on

please, help me

my Ford

---

thank you!!!

driver1    -- 09-27-2013 @ 3:39 AM
  my Ford

driver1    -- 09-27-2013 @ 4:28 AM
  also i need a hood moldings and emblems

JM    -- 09-27-2013 @ 9:57 AM
  That's awesome owning an early Ford V-8 1938 Ford fordor sedan in Russia. Is this a left hand drive car. Do you know in which country it was built?
I would suggest checking with some of these American based suppliers on their catalog websites... Bob Drske, Dennis Carpenter, Dick Spadaro, Early Ford V-8, Job lot, Joes Antique car parts.
You could also put a parts wanted post here and on WWW.Fordbarn.com and subscribe to Hemmings Motor News. Good luck and keep up post on your progress.

John

This message was edited by JM on 9-28-13 @ 2:09 AM

ford38v8    -- 09-27-2013 @ 10:16 AM
  Driver, welcome to our Forum! Look at the list of suppliers in the link below for the common items such as headlight bulbs and hood V8. The hood trim strips are not available anywhere. Other hard to find items can sometimes be found at these suppliers also. Good luck and happy V8ing!

http://www.goldengatev8.org/resources.htm

Alan

supereal    -- 09-27-2013 @ 8:24 PM
  Many Fords of the twenties and thirties were produced overseas using dies and other Ford tooling. Henry was looking for a place to sell these, rather than scr*p them. Whole factories were exported, including to Russia. According to accounts, in many cases, payment was never received for some of these.

silverchief    -- 09-28-2013 @ 4:42 PM
  From the list of parts suppliers.... I would start with C&G Parts in California, then move on to Macs Antique Auto Parts in Detroit, then to Bob Drake in California.

ford38v8    -- 09-28-2013 @ 5:40 PM
  Chief, I'm sorry, but you won't find Macs on that list. It never was and never will be on that list.

Alan

Edit: I should explain... That list is composed of suppliers that have been recommended, and is not all inclusive of every possible source. Only those deemed worthy will be listed, and there is no gaurantee for any on the list that they will remain so.

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 9-28-13 @ 6:16 PM

MG    -- 09-28-2013 @ 7:51 PM
  @ford38v8,

"you won't find MAC'S on that list. It never was and never will be on that list." - WOW! Kinda harsh, don't cha think??? I recommend MAC'S as I have never had a problem with them or the parts they supply for over 25 years now. Plus, I don't have to pay them California's extortion taxes. I'm just happy MAC'S is in business for US. "Only those deemed worthy"??? WTF?!!! How does one gain this 'Special Dispensation' to get on that sacred list??? 'BlackBalling' of a vendor should be beneath this Club's dignity. Knowing this, I'll do my best to avoid those vendors that are on that list!......MG

BTW, Alan - Are you speaking on behalf of the EFV8 Club???

This message was edited by MG on 9-29-13 @ 12:08 AM

supereal    -- 09-28-2013 @ 9:41 PM
  We don't buy from Mac's because too many of their parts have been inferior. As an example, we went thru five sets of points to find one set that wasn't defective. Our best experience is with C&G, Carpenter, and Drake. That said, the most important consideration for the poster is to find any supplier that can arrange overseas shipping and acceptable method of payment. My friend Alan and I have been around for a very long time. We don't "blackball" any sources, but try to recommend those that have good quality and price. If your experience is different, it would suffice to simply say so.

ford38v8    -- 09-28-2013 @ 10:28 PM
  MG, I'm sorry your favorite supplier is not listed, that list was composed with input from members of our Regional Group some time ago. The list has nothing to do with the National Club, and it does recieve requests to be listed from many companies, which are routinely denied for self promotion, and usually lack of relevance.

Your objection did cause me second thought, and I realized that I had been harsh in my personal opinion of Macs. If you were a member of our RG, you would also have the opportunity to input to our list.

Alan

MG    -- 09-28-2013 @ 11:18 PM
  @ford38V8 & supereal,

It's not that MAC'S is not on the 'sacred' list so much as it's the blatant attack/condemnation of this vendor as deemed "not worthy" and that MAC'S has no redeeming values as to ever be on the list - a list compiled "some time ago." Sure sounds like "BlackBalling' to me. It's almost as blatant as supereal's constant endorsements of C&G in his posts. And no, I don't play "favorites".

But again, in 25 plus years, I have never had a bad experience with MAC'S or the parts they supply. They've always done me good. Also, they've got the best website in the business - easiest to use. Like the many other vendors I deal with, I will continue to do business with them until I get burned. If that happens, I certainly will not slander them on the internet.

I should be good enough for you to just ban them from your "sacred" list. Why do you resort to condemning/bad-mouthing them on this public forum and doing so unsolicited no less? Some sort of personal vendetta or agenda???

This message was edited by MG on 9-29-13 @ 12:07 AM

supereal    -- 09-29-2013 @ 7:30 AM
  No personal " vendetta" or slander intended., and yes, I do endorse reliable vendors. Over the years, problem sources commonly reply to complaints regarding quality and/or service with "no one else has complained" , rather than take steps to remedy the problem. This is more often than not a prelude to their disappearance from the scene. As the operator of a long standing shop, I can vouch for the fact that defective parts problems are not confined to the old car hobby. As more production goes offshore, the rejection rate of parts right out of the box has become the "new normal". A majority of our Club members are not professional mechanics, and being sold inferior or defective parts discourages them, as well as the hobby. A friend has informed me that Mac's has changed owners recently.. If so, I wish them, and you, well. As The late former editor of the V8 TIMES, Bob McCoppin, used to say "If I am mistaken, some kind soul will be happy to correct me".

MG    -- 09-29-2013 @ 10:19 AM
  "The only nice thing about being imperfect is the joy it brings to others."

MG

This message was edited by MG on 9-29-13 @ 10:26 AM

supereal    -- 09-29-2013 @ 4:00 PM
  Amen, brother. Living nearly eight decades disabused me of the concept of perfection years ago!

This message was edited by supereal on 9-29-13 @ 4:01 PM

MDB    -- 09-29-2013 @ 7:12 PM
  Hello Driver1 and welcome to Forum. Hopefully you will not be greatly disenchanted by the "frank", highly unusual comments. Your 38 appears to be a very neat survivor; I also note the two Vermeer trenchers in the photo. From 1959-66 I worked @ Vermeer,in 1967 began a dealership in FL, but retired 2010. I knew the Swiss and German dealers well, who served Russia for years. I now own a restored 39 Deluxe 2dr sedan.
Best wishes in finding the parts you need. MDB

TomO    -- 09-30-2013 @ 6:46 AM
  Mac's has been sold, so the new owner may have corrected the problems the previous owner had.

Not all of Mac's products are inferior to the parts supplied by other vendors, as a matter of fact, many vendors buy from Mac's.

Tom

driver1    -- 10-03-2013 @ 12:25 PM
  thank you

one more quastion

about a battery

(+) of the battery shoud be connected to frame? or (-) of the battery shoud be connected to the fame?

supereal    -- 10-03-2013 @ 1:16 PM
  If you have a stock early Ford. the + (positive) side is the ground connection, and should be attached to the body and engine with ground straps.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6559