Topic: Alternator conversion

joe b    -- 09-26-2013 @ 11:32 AM
  Does anyone have ILLUSTRATED instructions for installing an alternator converted generator on a flat head?

woodiewagon46    -- 09-26-2013 @ 12:38 PM
  Joe B, try the Ford Barn site, lot's of those guys are running alternators.

supereal    -- 09-26-2013 @ 4:32 PM
  It isn't complicated. You need the adapter fork that holds the alternator to the mount on the intake manifold. It holds the alternator in position to be in line with the crank and water pump pulleys. The output is connected to the "batt" terminal on the regulator, which can stay in place, but serves no purpose other than an accessible point to reach the existing wiring. I suggest you use a two wire type of alternator, rather than the usual one wire kind, as it permits the alternator to come on without high revving of the engine. We do lots of these conversions, and it one of the simpler jobs. If you are using one of the alternators that mimic the generator, it would be best to request the info directly.

This message was edited by supereal on 9-26-13 @ 4:34 PM

CharlieStephens    -- 09-26-2013 @ 5:06 PM
  We definitely need illustrations or pictures. I thought in the first post that it was a generator case with an alternator stuffed inside so it still looked like a generator. The third post assumes a late model alternator with a bracket. What are we talking about?

Charlie Stephens

JM    -- 09-27-2013 @ 5:16 AM
  Wondering if you are talking about the Ed Whitney alternator conversion that looks like a '32-'38 ('39 std.) fan mount generator?

John

joe b    -- 09-27-2013 @ 5:46 AM
  JM Yes it is like Ed's. It is a stock generator case with an alternator inside. I tried calling Ed's number a few times but got no answer. This is not my installation. I am writing this for an older friend who had no computer.

4dFordSC    -- 09-27-2013 @ 6:15 AM
  My Whitney conversion is connected as follows:
Connect the alternator to the original generator wire. On the voltage regulator, move the Armature (ARM) wire to the Battery (BAT) terminal (there will now be two wires connected to the BAT terminal).

That's all there is to it.

joe b    -- 09-30-2013 @ 9:47 AM
  4D He got it hooked up per your suggestion. Works fine. Thanks

4dFordSC    -- 09-30-2013 @ 10:08 AM
  You're welcome, and thanks for the follow-up:-)

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6554