Topic: Temperature sender

bo8109b    -- 09-24-2013 @ 4:21 PM
  Do I really need the left hand temp sender? Mine doesn't work and I've bypassed it wiring directly to the right hand sender. Carl

51f1    -- 09-24-2013 @ 5:02 PM
  I say yes. Should something happen to the water pump on the left side or if there is some obstruction to prevent water flow, I think you'd be glad you had it. There also could be some mechanical problem internal to the engine that might cause one cylinder bank to overheat.

Richard

supereal    -- 09-24-2013 @ 8:47 PM
  It is important to remember that the Ford flathead engine has two separate cooling jackets that merge only at the radiator. That is why two sensors are required. One operates the gauge, and the other side is a simple bimetal switch that opens above 200 degrees, allowing the gauge to swing over to the hot side. It has two terminals, the other, only one. They are connected by a wire, with the other terminal to the gauge. Both are important.

This message was edited by supereal on 9-24-13 @ 8:49 PM

40 Coupe    -- 09-25-2013 @ 5:48 AM
  What year car? Ford didn't offer a temperature gauge as standard equipment until 1935, and from 35 to 40 there was just one. In about 41 ford offered a second sender, it's purpose was to only indicate when there was excessive temperature on it's engine side and not to constantly monitor temperature from low to high. The single screw sender is all that is BASICALLY needed to make the gauge function. The second sender, with two wire terminals, is electrically a short circuit until the water reaches an excessive temperature and then it open circuits. When the electrical circuit for the gauge goes open circuit the gauge reads full scale-HOT.

TomO    -- 09-25-2013 @ 8:02 AM
  I have stock 40 Mercury heads on my car and a hot water heater, so there is no place to install a second temperature sensor. I have been driving my car since 2008 this way, with no ill effects. The heater input comes from the port on the right head and the sending unit is on the left head.

When the thermostat in the right head stuck closed a couple of years ago, the temperature gauge did show the hot condition and I was able to allow the engine time to cool down and remove the thermostats before any engine damage.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6549