Topic: Transmission Question ,39 Ford Standard.

Gary M.    -- 09-22-2013 @ 7:17 PM
  Hi guys, my tranny doesn't always shift so smoothly. I don't know a whole lot about the tranny so Im not sure if it has synchros. Assuming it does, can a job like changing them be done with the tranny in place by removing the side plate ? Thanks....

ford38v8    -- 09-22-2013 @ 7:36 PM
  Gary, your 1939 Ford does have synchromesh. Being that you have some dificulty in shifting, and assuming the synchro is at fault, it can be rebuilt, no problem. Your transmission doesn't have a side panel, it is a top loader, meaning that your shift lever is on the floor rather than on the column. Regardless, an early Ford transmission must be removed from the car in order to repair it. The job requires the removal of the differential/torque tube assembly, then the transmission comes out the top. It can all be a one man job, but will require detailed instruction. The transmission can be rebuilt by you or sent out to one of the several rebuilders available.

Alan

40 Coupe    -- 09-23-2013 @ 4:27 AM
  Gary: Maybe you could enlighten us with a bit more detail as to the problem. Ford passenger cars for 39 had syncromeshed 2nd and 3rd gear. Allowing a shift without grinding gears from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Also 3rd to 2nd but NOT 2nd to 1st. If the shifter is hard to move or sloppy, the problem may be in the top cover, this can be removed and repaired without removing the transmission. If you can not get into 1st gear without grinding even when stopped the problem may lie in your clutch, pressure plate or throw out bearing and linkage. If the transmission pops out of gear other or does not seem to go into gear all the way other problems may exist.

Gary M.    -- 09-23-2013 @ 7:27 PM
  Hi again and thanks for the replies. The main problem that I have with shifting is that when I shift 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd rapidly, I get a slight grinding. Same goes with down shifting those same gears. However, when I shift slowly and clutch easily,then shifting goes smoothly.Maybe im used to shifting modern cars and am just shifting too fast? Are these old Fords meant to be shifted slowly? I don't mind shifting slowly, however, impatient traffic behind me usually does. By the way, the clutch,pressure plate and throwout bearing are all new. Thanks for the input guys.....

40 Coupe    -- 09-24-2013 @ 4:46 AM
  Make sure your clutch is adjusted properly for about one inch of free travel before the throw out bearing touches the fingers of the pressure plate, too much free travel may result in the clutch still engaged even though the pedal is depressed completely. Other wise It would seem the syncro are not working correctly. The brass blocker rings may be worn or cracked and not able to match gear rotation properly. If you remove the top of the transmission you can see the rings on both side of the syncro outer sleeve 7106. see how far the rings go outward toward the input gear and the 2nd gear. They should stop about a dimes width from the gear face. Also rotate the syncro to see if the rings are not cracked through their width. Then check the movement of the 2nd gear fore and aft, use a feeler gauge and look for about 4 to 0.008 end play. Too much end play can cause your problem also. The rear bearing retainer (motor mount) and the U-Joint have to be firmly attached since these also retain the shaft to the rear bearing and the rear bearing into the transmission housing. With any play in either the transmission output shaft can move rearward. If you find any of the above problems the transmission has to come out for disassembly and repair. Mac VanPelt Ohio has a good book and lots of parts along with Charlie Schwindler NY check the V8 Times roster or services offered in the ad section of the V8 Times for contact info.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 9-24-13 @ 4:51 AM

Gary M.    -- 09-25-2013 @ 1:53 AM
  Thanks for the valuable info. Living in the northeast our show season is short. I've got maybe a month and a half left then she goes to sleep for the winter. That's when I do my upkeep and repairs. In the mean time I'll just shift easy. Hopefully the tranny is not too bad inside, but if it is, I'll do whatever is necessary to it over the winter. Thanks again!

supereal    -- 09-25-2013 @ 8:41 PM
  Before you resort to a tear down, try filling the transmission with 140 weight gear oil. If the transmission is a bit worn, it may help. As it shifts better when done slowly, the heavier oil tends to slow down the gears a bit so the synchronizers have a chance to work properly.

Gary M.    -- 09-26-2013 @ 1:56 AM
  Ok, I will try changing the oil. Right now I have it filled with 90w. I rarely take it out in freezing weather so it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the tip ....

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6544