Topic: 39 Standard tranny removal trouble.

Gary M.    -- 01-19-2010 @ 4:17 PM
  I am in the process of removing the tranny in my 39 Standard Tudor 85hp.The floorboards and tranny cover and front seat have been removed.My plan is to remove the tranny fron inside the car.All steps have been followed including pushing the rear axle back and everything has been unbolted and all linkages dissconnected.I pulled back the tranny to free it up and lift it out,but the bottom of the tranny is hitting the crossbrace(tranny mount)and will not go back far enough to free the tranny shaft from the back of the engine. The tranny mount is not removable(it is riveted to the chassis).Is there a trick to this,or am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions? Thanks....

Stenny    -- 01-19-2010 @ 4:34 PM
  Try placing a block of wood beneath the oil pan and jack the engine up an inch at a time until you have clearance. Keep the motor in this position until you replace the transmission

Gary M.    -- 01-19-2010 @ 4:59 PM
  Is this a general practice or am I taking a chance of dammaging the exhaust system or the bottom radiator hoses.I think the tail of the tranny might be hitting the drive shaft tunnel. Thanks..

Kenneth M.    -- 01-20-2010 @ 8:22 AM
  It a lot easier to take the front loose and slide it back to have room to lift the tranny up through the floor.I have done this several times.It get easier after about 5 times. I know.

Kenneth M.    -- 01-20-2010 @ 8:25 AM
  Sorry I left front seat out of what I had to say. It not a bad job. It also helps to have someone under the car helping to lift the tranny out and also installing it back in.

deluxe40    -- 01-20-2010 @ 9:22 AM
  With the front motor mounts still connected the engine will pivot at the front when you jack it up. You don't have to raise the rear of the engine very much to achieve the lift you need at the rear of the transmission so radiator hoses and exhaust won't need to move much. If need be, you can also remove the U-joint with a socket on an extension through the collar that the drive shaft came out of (9/16" as I recall).

Gary M.    -- 01-20-2010 @ 3:46 PM
  I jacked up the engine from the back of the oil pan as far as it would go up and still had great difficulty removing the tranny. The problem is that the bottom of the tranny case hits the cross member before the shaft is completely out of the clutch. I had to roll the tranny to pull it out and im sure its going to be an adventure to put it back in! There are two horizontal rods that come out of the back of the bell housing and bolt to the chassis. I was wondering if they were keeping the engine from going a bit higher when I jack it up. It looks like it could go another inch higher if the rods werent holding it down. Do you guys usually remove these rods to get more height? Thanks for the help...

supereal    -- 01-21-2010 @ 10:42 AM
  Gary: Those are "anti-chatter" rods, and should be unbolted to get the engine up enough to slid the transmission back. With the engine raised, and the floorboard out, you should be able to straddle the transmission and, using the shift lever as a handle, slide it back and lift it out. We always remove the u-joint first. It is held in place by a bolt inside the joint. Putting the tranny back in is no big deal if you have centered the clutch disk with the proper tool. A couple of headless bolts screwed into the clutch housing to serve as guides will help you align the pieces.

Gary M.    -- 01-21-2010 @ 3:18 PM
  Those anti chatter rods are probably what held me up all along.It looks like they unbolt from the chassis and then unscrew from the bell housing. There so caked with grease that I cant tell. Thanks again...

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=653