Topic: 36 rumble step plates

Larry Lange    -- 09-13-2013 @ 2:04 PM
  I'm trying to figure out where the top one goes. I have one on the right taillight, but where, exactly, on the top of the right rear fender does the other one go, and what besides the fender metal does it sit on? I'm trying to determine the right spot to drill a hole in the fender, and what hardware is used to mount the pad in that location. I'm inclined to think there is some kind of grommet or other support piece for the pad on top of the fender. Is that right, and if so where do I get one?

Thanks!

Larry Lange / Puget Sound Regional Group

40 Coupe    -- 09-14-2013 @ 6:00 AM
  Larry: Contact Jon for the location. The parts are listen in the 38 Ford Hardware book.

40 Coupe    -- 09-14-2013 @ 6:04 AM
  Washer 48-714029, nut 48-714026. The concave washer just under the pad and the nut with special convex on the inside of the fender.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 9-14-13 @ 6:06 AM

Don Rogers    -- 09-14-2013 @ 7:25 AM
  Larry, Here is an image that I compiled from various sources that should help. The upper sketch by Jon Anderson shows the step pad hole location and the lower images show the nut and washer. The step pad (40-2454)is not shown

Larry Lange    -- 09-14-2013 @ 4:42 PM
  Hey, guys, thanks very much for the replies and the information. Jon Anderson's diagram was particularly helpful and, I assume, applicable to a '36 fender as well as a '35. Thanks for keeping that trove of images, Don.

According to the part numbers the step pads are the same part as the pads on the brake and clutch pedals. (?) If they are I assume you'd just drill a half-inch hole in the right spot on the fender and perch the pad in it.

But....are the washers and nuts available anywhere? Nacewicz would be my first guess but the last catalogue I have from him doesn't list either piece. Any info on a possible source, from anyone, would be appreciated.

Larry Lange / PSRG

40 Coupe    -- 09-15-2013 @ 4:49 AM
  Appears that Don married MY images, from my 35 Cabriolet, to the images in the hardware book, indeed very helpful.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 9-15-13 @ 5:01 AM

flatheadfan    -- 09-15-2013 @ 5:41 PM
  What I have always used for step pad location was the centerline of the hub cap or the axle nut. Note picture.

Tom

Larry Lange    -- 09-16-2013 @ 11:47 AM
  Thanks for the tip and the photo, FlatheadFan. A great guide!

Anybody know where to get the special nut and washer?

Larry Lange, PSRG

Larry Lange    -- 09-16-2013 @ 1:08 PM
  Uh, also....the rumble step pads are the same ones as the pads for the brake and clutch pedals, aren't they? I ask because I've seen different pictures for the two types of pads.

Thanks again!

Larry Lange / PSRG

Don Rogers    -- 09-16-2013 @ 2:22 PM
  Larry, Here is a comparison sheet that I made up that should help.

deuce_roadster    -- 09-16-2013 @ 5:59 PM
  Larry, that nut and washer looks like it would be hard to find. If you can't find one, make a template of the curvature under your fender, get some steel the proper thickness and with a press, bend it cold to match your curve. Cut to proper shape. Next, drill holes for washer and pilot hole in the nut. Tap nut for proper thread ( 1/4 inch pipe if I read the diagram correctly). You can make the reveal around the nut by hand if careful after making the nut or if you cut the flat metal to shape before bending, you could mill that, or file it.
The nut is very similar to the nut on the hot water heater nipple that goes in the lower radiator hose of a 40 but I think it is the wrong size.

Larry Lange    -- 09-21-2013 @ 4:34 PM
  Don, thanks again for using your computer graphic skills on behalf of 35-36 Fords.

I'm still curious about where to find the step pad nut and washer for the rear fender. Anybody know any suppliers out there?

Larry Lange / PSRG

Larry Lange    -- 09-21-2013 @ 4:51 PM
  Deuce Roadster, thanks much for your guide on making the nut and washer. You may be right..... I may have to resort to that or find someone who's made them before. Unfortunately, I suspect we're not talking about a high-demand item. I'll keep searching anyway.

Larry Lange/ PSRG

Grant    -- 09-25-2013 @ 7:02 AM
  Have you tried contacting Carpenter Reproductions in North Carolina ?

Dennis recently acquired a super-nice '36 roadster, which appears on his current business card. We spoke to him during the Tahoe meet about his interest in 1936 and 1937 Fords.

Perhaps Dennis would be able to provide you with those step pad mounting parts, or identify a source elsewhere.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6521