Topic: Water pump sending unit removal

1936TWC    -- 09-12-2013 @ 11:13 AM
  I am removing my water pump from my 1936 Ford. How does one remove the sending unit? This one does not want to go very easily.

Thanks

supereal    -- 09-12-2013 @ 2:40 PM
  As with all of these, they are held by a pipe thread. Try soaking around the base with a good penetrating oil, and allow it a couple of days to work. If you can get the sender to move a very little bit, you have a good chance of having the thread loosen. Any excess pressure on the sender with likely ruin it, so be patient.

ford38v8    -- 09-12-2013 @ 2:59 PM
  Super, I know you are familiar with the home made brew of acetone/ATF and its reputation, so I must assume you have acquired the dreaded CRS for not specifying it instead of simply "a good penetratring oil". Mixed 50/50, that stuff outperforms any and all penetrating oils on the market!

Alan

oldford2    -- 09-12-2013 @ 6:28 PM
  Try the acetone/atf mixture but most pipe thread fittings are installed with some kind of dope that may soften somewhat with carefully applied heat. Be sure and use a 6 point socket. A 12 point may round over this brass fitting.
John

supereal    -- 09-12-2013 @ 6:57 PM
  Yeah, Alan. I do know about that mixture, but I am reluctant to suggest it due to the extremely flammable nature of acetone, particularly if any heating is involved. Usually, even if the pipe threads have been doped, once the sender moves, they often come out. We never know what someone used as sealer, but ordinary pipe dope is preferable if I have a choice.

1936TWC    -- 09-16-2013 @ 10:51 AM
  Thanks for reply. I removed the threaded fitting from
the sending unit wire. It appears that the sending unit
is just inserted into the pump. Is that correct?
I applied some Kroil lub to it but I cannot remove it.
Any suggestions. It is a 1936 water pump.

transbytip    -- 09-16-2013 @ 7:21 PM
  I have a 36 had same problem solved it by uunbolting pump from head then held sending unit in one position then unscr*w*d pump from unit will not ruin the the s. u. tube that way.you should get the fitting loose but the whole thing will want to turn,so if you turn the pump off you wont hurt the capillary tube.It worked for meCliff..

with reguards Cliff. Tipton

40 Coupe    -- 09-17-2013 @ 3:54 AM
  With the mounting nut loose remove the upper radiator hose and try to pry the bulb out of the hole once loose remove the mounting nut and the bulb should come out. If you look in the 36 K R Wilson catalog they had a tool to do this it used a bolt to pry a hinge apart and push the bulb out.

1936TWC    -- 09-19-2013 @ 1:19 PM
  Got the sending out. Thanks

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6519