Topic: Once again

silverchief    -- 09-11-2013 @ 11:23 AM
  On my 46 coupe, still trying to correct problem with tail light wiring. Driver's side works parking, stop, and turn signal. Passenger side worked tail light only.
On passenger side, black wire coming out of crossover loom, connects to black bucket wire to work tail light. Green wire coming out of crossover loom should work brake and turn signal, but is totally dead - no power when tail lights, brake lights, or turn signals are activated. Plus - it has no connect at opposite light, but continues directly on into loom coming from forward.

So - I wired direct from green bucket wire on passenger side, into power from stop switch on drivers side. As to be expected, that now gives me stop and turn signal operation on both sides. Unfortunately both rear turn signals now operate simultaneously - making it interesting for drivers behind me.

This is beginning to feel like a Laurel and Hardy movie. Hoping for a quick and easy solution - other than hand signals.

carcrazy    -- 09-11-2013 @ 1:32 PM
  Hi Silverchief,
Rather than trying to diagnose a problem within your wiring harness to provide electricity to your right rear stop/turn signal light, I propose the following. Run a wire of the correct length alongside your current wiring harness directly from the right rear stop/turn signal light to the turn signal switch wire that provides the correct signal. You will have to determine which is the correct wire that comes out of the turn signal switch to use. To do this you will need either a voltmeter or a test light. You will be connecting this test device between the wire coming out of the turn signal switch and vehicle ground. For some aftermarket turn signal switches the wire that provides electricity to the right rear stop/turn signal light is brown. Tap into the brown wire first and place the turn signal switch in the position to indicate a right turn. If you get an indication of current flow, you have found a wire that services the right side turn signals. To verify that it services the right rear turn signal, move the turn signal switch to the off position and apply the brake pedal. If the test device now indicates current flow, you have found the correct wire. If not, try the rest of the wires coming out of the turn signal switch until you find the correct one. Once you have found the correct wire, connect your new wire to it and cut the wire downstream from your connection. Please let us know how this works for you.

supereal    -- 09-11-2013 @ 2:13 PM
  Bill: I suspect the stop lights are still tied together by the crossover wires that run along the cross brace behind the gas tank. I am attaching a simple diagram of turn signals to help you sort out your connections. The color codes may not match yours exactly, but you will get the idea. If you don't find the problem, you have my number.

This message was edited by supereal on 9-11-13 @ 2:15 PM

silverchief    -- 09-12-2013 @ 8:58 AM
  Thanks guys for very helpful stuff. We are supposed to get sun and warm weather back next week - so will start using it then.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6515