Topic: 1935 Ford Tudor

SlantWindowJohnny31    -- 09-09-2013 @ 4:04 PM
  I am currently working on my 1935 Ford Tudor and am wondering what is the correct battery size and group number? And/or after market replacement part number(i.e. Napa/Motorcraft/Farm&Fleet/Interstate) Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Flat Heads Forever!

supereal    -- 09-09-2013 @ 4:10 PM
  If you are not planning on having your car judged, opt for a Optima battery. They are simply great for our old cars. High cranking current, hold a charge for very long times, and don't leak car eating acid. Plus, they can be mounted in any position.

JM    -- 09-09-2013 @ 6:06 PM
  The correct group number is 2LF. I don't recall the exact dimensions. The only companies that I know of who are making this size lead acid battery are Antique Auto Battery and Restoration Batteries, both located in Ohio. Both companies make them with Ford script markings. The last battery I bought like this from AAB was way too expensive and did not last more than a couble years. After that I started using Optima 6V Red Top batteries in my '35's and never looked back. Made some SS sheetmetal U shaped trays that bolt into the original battery box w/o cutting or drilling anything. Also lowers the Optima ~ 1-1/2" when mounted in an upright position so there is plenty of space between top of battery/terminals and underside of battery floor cover. With all connections clean and tight, the Optima turns the engine like it's 12V.

John

TomO    -- 09-10-2013 @ 6:50 AM
  The battery size should be 10 1/" x 7 1/8" x7 1/4".

Unless your car is going to be judged at a V-8 Club meet, I would also go for the Optima. They have more cranking power, do not leak acid on your car and last more than 7 years if kept fully charged. They are taller than the stock battery for your car, so you will have to fabricate something to hold it.

Amazon usually has the best prices on them.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=optima+6&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=6837986888&hvpos=1s5&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16984475362129440913&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_lp3rku3jj_b

Tom

supereal    -- 09-10-2013 @ 9:03 AM
  I made a wooden box to hold the Optima. The battery is placed so the terminals come thru the top of the box. I did rout the top to resemble the top of a conventional battery, and I attached three caps from an old battery. After a coat of black paint, it looks just like a regular battery. The stock hold down can be used, except the taller unit required making longer holddowns. Most people don't catch on that it is not the real thing. If you do this, be sure to supply a vent in the box on the back side where it is concealed.

MG    -- 09-11-2013 @ 11:59 AM
  JM,

If I'm not mistaken, the battery box is the same for both the '34 and '35'model years. Can you share some pictures of the battery box/trays you fabricated on your '35 to accommodate the Optima battery you use?

MG

JM    -- 09-11-2013 @ 1:27 PM
  MG, I do have some pictures. Maybe best to pm me your email address to send them to you. I think I can only post one at a time here on the forum. I think it turned out pretty nice. It clips securely in place with no mods to any of the original battery box. Could switch back to an original type battery in 10 minutes if/when I would ever want to do that.

John

Esteban34    -- 09-14-2013 @ 8:47 PM
  I use two optima batteries in parallel in the same box in my 34 Tudor.

adonde vas, estas alli
Esteban

MG    -- 09-14-2013 @ 9:30 PM
  Esteban34,

What are the model/part numbers on your Optimas? Are you able to install the battery box cover board?

drkbp    -- 09-15-2013 @ 5:28 AM
  SWJ,

To answer your original question, it is a Group 1. The dimensions are: 9" Long x 6-7/8" Wide and 8-1/2" Tall, including the posts. I bought one earlier last month for my '35 Cabriolet at O'Reily's Auto Parts. It fits the stock box and the one I replaced in August lasted 35 months. Tractor Supply has them too I believe. Most are 12 months or 24 months and it cost me $79.00. Not cheap.

I have not used the Optima but most say they are very good. I don't know how well they work with the stock system, cutout with a three brush generator. Maybe just as well and someone can tell us. There is a voltage regulator type cutout switch available from Fun Projects that will work with the 3 brush and if John Regan says it works, it does.

Check the dimensions if you buy the regular battery. There are other sizes and most are larger. You don't want the cover hitting the battery posts even though it has a insulating pad of sorts on it. We always disconnect the batteries on the vintage Fords when put in the shop for more than a day for safety reasons. There are cutoff switches available but we don't really trust them either.

Be sure and use the large cables with a good floor starter switch and it should sound like it is 12 volt. Spin like crazy.

Ken in Texas

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6509