Topic: 34 top installation

rbone    -- 09-07-2013 @ 5:46 PM
  Well my new Lebarron Bonney upholstery kit arrived the other day and I am just about ready to begin. Before I start though, I am unsure how to install the rubber top. Car is a tudor sedan. (The instructions were not in the kit - I plan to call them on Monday). I think I am missing something that must hold down the top. In the '34 book, there are two pictures of one showing what looks to be a metal channel. Is that basically used as a clamp to hold the top down? Also, the book mentions tacking the channel as well as a few screws. There appears to be some sort of hard fibrous material in the channel. Is this what the channel/clamp 'tacks' to? If so, can it be replaced or should I try to use what is there?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Ron

This message was edited by rbone on 9-7-13 @ 6:27 PM

supereal    -- 09-07-2013 @ 8:33 PM
  I haven't done a '34, but have put tops on several Model A's. With those, the top material is pulled taut and even as you tack the material thru the slots in the metal around the top opening and into the top wood. When that step is complete, the excess material is trimmed away around the edge. Then, the trim channel covers the edge, and is secured with tacks, with some screws in the corners. Then the groove in the channel is filled with a flexible seal to finish the appearance. I've used weatherstrip sealer over the top tacks to be sure it is weatherproof before adding the trim. There are a couple of important things to watch. Make sure the wood under the top area is not rotted or full of old tack holes, and the metal around the tack area is clear and free of rust. I've used Bondo to fill in small areas of concern. LeBaron Bonney is an excellent company, both in materials and assistance. Take your time, and enlist a helper to assist in laying out the material and holding it as you tack. If your top trim doesn't come pre bent, shape it before you begin. I use wooden blocks in the shape of the cornrs to get a smooth curve. Good luck.

trjford8    -- 09-09-2013 @ 6:44 PM
  On the tops I have installed I built a wood framing and attached the material to the frame. I used 1"X2" pine material I then put it on the top of the car. The weight of the wood stretches the material taught so you can install the metal tack strip. If you don't have the metal tack strip you can use hidem welt. LeBaron does have the metal tack strip but it comes in straight lengths. You need to make a former to bend it for the correct curve in the corners. It's not an easy task. you might run a want ad to see if someone has an original tack strip for your car.

40 Coupe    -- 09-10-2013 @ 4:43 AM
  For 34 there is the metal channel around the soft top and a tack strip inside the channel. Your going to need chicken wire that gets stapled to the top wood bows with stainless staples, it helps support the soft top. Then take your time and use LeBaron Bonney's instructions to work all the wrinkles out of each layer and finally install your three piece top metal trim, if you don't have the metal trim, the replacement aluminum trim is very hard to bend to get smooth corners with the proper radius. The three pieces were tacked to the strip but the ends and corners, where they met, were originally scr*w*d to the metal under and through the tack strip. There is a guy that can bend the metal aluminum trim for you and mail it to you. It may be better to screw the final trim in place using SS #2-56 screws and self locking nuts or locktite nuts inside the car. Finally the rubber filler for the tack channel in the metal trim. It's not as hard as it would first seem, again take your time. LeBaron will send you instructions over email if missing. The arrows in the photo below shows locations for some of the original corner screws.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 9-10-13 @ 5:00 AM

rbone    -- 09-10-2013 @ 7:40 AM
  Thanks for the help. It is starting to make sense now. Who sells a replacement tack strip that adheres into the channel? Mine will need to be replaced.

Thanks,
Ron

40 Coupe    -- 09-11-2013 @ 4:03 AM
  Ron: Look closely at your tack strip you will see it is riveted into the metal channel with special stand off rivets, through the center of the tack strip and the metal channel would have to be bent open to replace the tack strip, unless the tack strip is missing you want to reuse it. I believe LeBaron Bonney sells tack strip. You can drill additional holes and attach the top metal trim with additional screws, and with the addition of sealer this will hold the top material in place once it is stretched into place using the tacking procedure supplied by Le B.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6505