Topic: 1950 Ford oil change

EWATERS    -- 09-07-2013 @ 11:38 AM
  I know, "such a dumb question" but I want to tap the vast store of experience in this forum; so here goes. I have a 1950 Ford with a 6-cylinder engine. I am executing a "first" oil change in my recently rebuilt engine with a little over 600 miles since the rebuild.
Alas, it has been many, many years since I had to change an oil filter cartridge rather than the screw-in filter. My problem is the residual oil remaining in the filter reservoir doesn't drain out after an overnight elapsed time; I had to siphon it out of the housing with a suction tube. How does the oil flow through the filter? and is there some technique to drain the used oil in the filter housing in a more efficient manner? In a anticipation of some words-of-wisdom, I thank all responses to further my education/experience.

MG    -- 09-07-2013 @ 11:54 AM
  How much residual oil are you talking about? After you pull the filter out, there usually will be a little oil remaining in the bottom of the canister. With my '53, I soak up this residual oil with an old rag. Remember, that when the engine is running the oil pressure forces the oil through the filter and canister.

BTW - Were it me, I would have changed the oil twice before my fresh rebuild reached 600 miles......MG

supereal    -- 09-07-2013 @ 12:45 PM
  The old style canister filter system has a restrictor in the outlet line the prevents complete draining of the canister. It keeps oil from fully bypassing the engine lube system, which would affect oil pressure. Most canisters have a small drain plug near the bottom. I have a radiator petcock instead of the plug for easier draining of the canister on my '47. As for initial oil change after a rebuild, we tell our customers to do it after a couple of hundred miles, to be sure to get rid of any particles that result from the sealing of the piston rings against the cylinder walls. In a full flow filter system, a longer oil change interval is OK. Depending on the amount of use, we try to change oil in our old cars about half way thru the season, and always before winter storage. Oil is much cheaper than engines! By the way, there are no dumb questions here! Ask any time.

ford38v8    -- 09-07-2013 @ 3:22 PM
  Your syphon is the usual way to go. I used a turkey baster till I found a good syphon. They used to make syphons specifically for the purpose, I have one as a wall hanger. Looks like an old tire pump, only smaller.

Alan

Stroker    -- 09-07-2013 @ 5:21 PM
  Yes, there is a small drain plug in the bottom of the housing, but as Super and Alan have suggested, it is much quicker to simply suck it out. When I was a lad, this was one of my tasks in our shop. My dad would follow-up by checking the inside of the housing with a white rag to make sure it was spotless. After sucking the oil out, I'd rinse the housing with Stoddard solvent, and wipe dry.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6504