Topic: Parts Vendors - Thermostats and Caps

Ross6860    -- 09-07-2013 @ 7:43 AM
  I have a '36 Ford and I would like to install thermostats and a new radiator cap.

Original 21-stud engine.

Having trouble finding parts vendors.

I know they don't make the butterfly-style thermostats any longer, but I believe someone is making stats that will work.

Can't find a zero-pressure cap other than Brassworks. I'm not a skinflint but I'm not paying $50 for a radiator cap.

I'll try the local tractor supply. I've been really surprised at what I have found there in the past.

Thanks, all.

supereal    -- 09-07-2013 @ 11:09 AM
  Parts for the 35-36 Fords can be hard to find, and pricey. It is because those were transition years, so stocking the correct parts is difficult. Expect to pay around forty bucks for a cap. As for thermostats, we haven't been able to find the old style with the sleeve that fits inside the hose. Without the sleeve, you have to anchor the stat with an additional hose clamp to keep them in place so they don't turn over and obstruct the flow. You may wish to consider Skip Haney's pressure valve. It attaches to the overflow, and creates about three pounds of pressure in older systems.

Old Henry    -- 09-07-2013 @ 11:26 AM
  Might want to take a look at these thermostats and see if they would work: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=1936+ford+thermostat&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

drkbp    -- 09-07-2013 @ 7:50 PM
  Ross,

Let us know if Tractor Supply has a cap. I think I have a A-Model cap on mine and would like to get another cap. My radiator is vented so I don't care if it is low pressure cap or vented.

The stats in that ebay add are on the high side for price. $20 each would be OK I guess, but $25 max and ONLY if they are the low temp std. I found them on ebay about six months ago and got a box of them.

Be sure they are "STD", standard. Standard = 160 degrees. High is 180 degrees and I think that is too high. Ford said to use 180's if you have a heater. Bridgeport 160's are marked "5 Standard". Change them in pairs or check to be sure they both open at the same time at 160 degrees. Pan of hot water on the stove with a kitchen thermometer.

They are 1-3/4" in diameter and about 2-3/4" tall. I push them in from the bottom near the water pump. They will not turn over or move. They barely fit in the hose. They will also work in a Lincoln but that is what the rubber grommet is for.

With the 160's, the car should idle for half an hour from a cold start and get to about 175 in the top tank, with 75-80 ambient. You can "gage" your dash temp gage by doing this routine.

Ken in Texas

Ross6860    -- 09-08-2013 @ 8:06 AM
  The cap was pretty easy...

$5 for a gas cap that goes on older pickup trucks, the ones with visible gas caps in the rear of the cab.

These are pressure-tight caps with a vacuum breaker. I have no idea at what pressure they would vent if unmodified, if at all.

Easy mod. Take a pair of channel locks and grab the vacuum breaker and twist. It pops right out. You now have a shiny new, chrome, vented cap. The one I got was from Federated Supply and the vacuum breaker assembly was soft plastic.

ken ct.    -- 09-11-2013 @ 4:18 AM
  Sorry to disappoint you but hose type thermo. for 34-36 are almost impossible to find. The ebay price is a little on the low side. Ive gotten as much as $100 for a pr. I have 2 prs left 1 pr the bellows type and 1 pr of the ones with the large flat spring at the bottom.$95 + the ride either pr. If you have a pass not a truck rad caps also command top price Like $100 there unlike any other cap they have a wire bail on them. None at the moment but. Hershey is comming up.Being a skinflint in this hobby will get you no where. LOL Some 35-36 parts are expensive,laws of supply and demand rule here. Good luck LOL. ken ct.

TomO    -- 09-11-2013 @ 7:02 AM
  Ross, Unless you drive your car in the cold weather, you can get by without thermostats. In temperatures above 50F, your car will warm up just about as fast with or without thermostats. In colder weather, you can block part of your radiator to decrease the warm up time.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6502